glycerin in extract

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Question of the hour; I have a cyser done with crab apple, the tannin bite is dominating the afternotes as well as dehydrating the mouth. Bryan, You are using glycerin on a red, ,,, what does it do to the tannic flavor notes? Second what might gum arabic do to mellow out tannic flavors? Any other tools on high tannin?
Interesting. I found that 1 oz/gallon make a marked difference in last year's Merlot. I bottled 1 bottle without, the remainder of a carboy with. A month later we tasted both, and the mouth feel of the with-glyerine was clearly better, and the legs in the glass were thicker and heavier. I'm wondering what is different that we got different results.
When making liqueurs, I use 1 oz per liter, and that is a tremendous difference.
@hounddawg you are using crab apple, have you dealt with high tannin? I am wishing I had sampled you on some some Prairie Fire variety so you could rate the intensity.

what does it do to the tannic flavor notes?
Glycerin softened the wine overall, although the test wine was not highly tannic, so I can't say I noticed a difference in tannin.

Fining with egg whites is supposed to reduce tannins, although I've never had a wine tannic enough to do it myself. I've not used gum arabic.

aging on wood also adds glycerol, Chestnut and Ash having a relatively higher concentrations

Last edited:
I've started collecting samples and running bench tests to do just that:

my findings so far (not complete yet)...

Species & Tasting Notes:

• Acacia:
  • Apple:
  • Apricot:
  • Birch (Yellow): Toffee, butterscotch, marshmallow, croissant, honey, light root beer, light wintergreen, woodsy (mostly aroma), moderate tannins
  • Cherry: Light toffee, earthy, ripe cherry, grass, fried bread, light vanilla
  • Chestnut: light vanilla, coffee, cinnamon, high glycerol
  • Hickory: Honey, Smokey, tannin, apple sauce, cocoa, woodsy, coconut, hay
  • Maple (hard): nutmeg, cinnamon, syrup, bread/bakery, cream, cocoa
  • Maple (soft): Yellow cake, light smoke, banana, nut, toasted bread, orange
  • Mulberry:
  • Oak (American): Vanilla, woodsy, coconut, cinnamon, pepper, pastry, caramel, low tannin
  • Oak (French): cinnamon, allspice, high tannin
  • Oak (Hungarian): Subtle vanilla, chocolate, coffee, woodsy, coconut
  • Oak (Oregon): Molasses, clove, stewed berry, smoke, BBQ (*Note: requires long seasoning to break down bitter, astringent tannins)
  • Oak (red): Red berries, toasted marshmallow, peppery, resinous (*Note: requires long seasoning to break down bitter, astringent tannins)
  • Oak (Spanish): Clove, cinnamon, pepper, dried fruit, nutty
  • Pear: stewed fruit, grassy
  • Sassafras: Vanilla, Sage, Wintergreen, Root Beer
  • White Ash: Smokey, stewed fruit, marshmallow, grass, bread, light sweetness, high glycerols
Compound descriptions:
  • Lactones: Woodsy, coconut
  • Vanillin: vanilla
  • Eugenol/Isoeugenol: Spice, clove (resulting from seasoning)
  • Furfural: Results from heat during the toasting process, these compounds possess aromas of (in order of char level): caramel, butterscotch, faint almond, coffee, marshmallow, campfire
  • Guaiacol/4--methulguaiacol: char, smoke (resulting from charring process)

SpeciesLactonesVanillinsEugenolsFurfurals

Acacia
Apple
Apricot
Birch (yellow)medlowlowMed/Hi
CherryMed/LowMed/LowMed/LowMed/Low
Chestnutmed/lomed
Hickorymed/hilowlowmed/lo
Maple - Hardmed/lowmedmed/lomed/low
Maple - Softmed/lowmedlowmed/hi
Mulberry
Oak-Americanmedmed/himedmed/hi
Oak-Frenchmed/LowMed/LowMedMed
Oak-HungarianMed/Himed
Oak-OregonMed/Hilowmed/himed/hi
Oak-RedMed/Hilowmed/himed/low
Oak-SpanishmedMed/Hi
Pear
SassafrasloHighlolo
White Ashmed/hilolomed/high

Last edited:
Question of the hour; I have a cyser done with crab apple, the tannin bite is dominating the afternotes as well as dehydrating the mouth. Bryan, You are using glycerin on a red, ,,, what does it do to the tannic flavor notes? Second what might gum arabic do to mellow out tannic flavors? Any other tools on high tannin?

@hounddawg you are using crab apple, have you dealt with high tannin? I am wishing I had sampled you on some some Prairie Fire variety so you could rate the intensity.
i use soe crabapple in most all my wines to add that pop at the end,
Dawg

In another thread I reported the results of a taste test of a wine 8 month after bottling, with and without glycerin. The with-glycerin is mellow although the oak is a bit aggressive. Everyone who has tasted it, likes it.

The without-glycerin is very harsh and unpleasant. The difference is startling in how the glycerin tamed the harsh flavors.

Latest posts

Back