glycerin in extract

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reeflections

Reaction score
I am looking at different extracts from OliveNation to add to wine and I noticed some include glycerin and some don't.

I am hoping one of you food science guys, or anyone that knows, could tell me what affect glycerin would have on wine if added after the ferment. Good, bad, or no effect at all?

What it does is changes the texture of the, always start slow on the amount added , you can always add more.

Attachments

• 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    43.8 KB · Views: 23
  • 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    40.9 KB · Views: 23
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    44.4 KB · Views: 22
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    45.2 KB · Views: 21
I buy glycerin for making liqueurs, using 1 oz/quart (liter). Last fall I added 1 oz/gallon to red wines -- the difference is amazing! It dramatically changed the mouth feel.

Buying by the ounce is hideously expensive -- I purchased a gallon at a much better price. But if you only need an ounce or two ... that's overkill.

hey i've had so much fruit that i am just getting ready to order from them, i plan to go 1/3 heavier on the concentrates, you like them, i found them a few months back ,, but was way behind, got bulking, 2-6's apple wine, 2-6's spiced apple wine, 2-6's blackberry/elderberry. 2-6's strawberry, , 2-6's banana, 1-6 of spiced banana, 5-6's skitter pee, and 3-6's of black-raspberry/blueberry/tart-cherry,, os getting ready to order some peach, then come fall i'll fill the freezer again i hope,
Dawg

hey i've had so much fruit that i am just getting ready to order from them, i plan to go 1/3 heavier on the concentrates, you like them, i found them a few months back ,, but was way behind, got bulking, 2-6's apple wine, 2-6's spiced apple wine, 2-6's blackberry/elderberry. 2-6's strawberry, , 2-6's banana, 1-6 of spiced banana, 5-6's skitter pee, and 3-6's of black-raspberry/blueberry/tart-cherry,, os getting ready to order some peach, then come fall i'll fill the freezer again i hope,
Dawg
I like the company. Was not impressed with the peach. Just wasn't peachy enuf. I suspect they were not as ripe as we would like when they pressed them. I love their Sweet Cherry and Tart Cherry though. That's all I have tried so far.

https://www.winemakingtalk.com/threads/juice-concentrates-from-coloma.73199/

@reeflections , The testing I have done with glycerine has been neutral. It takes a lot to change sweetness/ doesn’t change fruit aroma and do I really care about building wine legs into the finished wine, ,,, so far I haven’t found a good use for glycerine.
@Rice_Guy would be your man, hell when i talk to him i get drunk just from the technical aspects of it,,,

The testing I have done with glycerine has been neutral. It takes a lot to change sweetness/ doesn’t change fruit aroma and do I really care about building wine legs into the finished wine, ,,, so far I haven’t found a good use for glycerine.
Interesting. I found that 1 oz/gallon make a marked difference in last year's Merlot. I bottled 1 bottle without, the remainder of a carboy with. A month later we tasted both, and the mouth feel of the with-glyerine was clearly better, and the legs in the glass were thicker and heavier. I'm wondering what is different that we got different results.

When making liqueurs, I use 1 oz per liter, and that is a tremendous difference.

yes there was a viscosity difference especially wine legs, ,,, taste at day zero no, a month of aging unknown
. . . A month later we tasted both, and the mouth feel of the with-glyerine was clearly better, and the legs in the glass were thicker and heavier. I'm wondering what is different that we got different results.

Latest posts

Back