glass or plastic carboy's

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
as I'm new to this and still building my equipment, I'd like to know the preferences of those with vastly more experience about the pro's and con's with glass vs plastic carboy's, since I'm only just starting out I only have 6 plastic, 5 gallon carboys and 2 stainless steel 5 gallon carboys, and 3 plastic 1 gallon carboys and 2 plastic 1/2 gallon carboy's,, I've done figured out the stainless is mostly only good for aging already cleared wine since you can't see your lees so racking's not easy with stainless steel carboys, glass I worry about breaking, but before I spend much more money,,, I'd really love yall's input on this matter as well as any other advice offered by ya'll, I learnt young that it's far cheaper to learn from others mistakes and triumphs as well,,, :ib since I'm not addicted as ya'll all seem to be I probably will only be needing 10 to 15 more 5 gallon carboys , about 5 more 1 gallons and maybe 5 or 6 more 1/2 gallon carboys,,,,,:h,, I use the gallon and half gallon carboys to keep my toping up wine, I make about 7 gallon batches so when racking my 5's I have 2 gallons to top up with, I use homegrown fruit so doing my primary's in 7 gallon batches seem the best for me,,,

I would say get a glass one or two, try it out and see which you like the best. I am kinda in the glass crowd, but have a few of the plastic carboys also. Arne.

With 6 plastic carboys, you are past the point of using a vacuum pump. It would cost you $100-$200 net to replace them with glass (which you need to use the vacuum pump), and then another $200 for the pump. I'm not saying I wouldn't do it, but it is a consideration.

If you take the long-term view, the plastic ones will eventually wear out (scratches on the inside, etc.), so if you start purchasing glass now, you will eventually only have glass/steel left.

You could use the plastic for the secondary fermentation, and save the glass for ageing. With all the CO2 in the Secondary, the wine is least susceptible to exposure to air effect (oxidation), which vacuum transfer minimizes.

Pros for plastic: Cheaper, weighs less, not as easily broken.

Pros for glass: will last longer, can use to vacuum transfer, easier to clean, retains resale value, no risk of chemicals leaching into your wine (the next BPA scare for plastic). Price competitive with plastic if you have time to watch for people selling their old glass carboys.

all ya'll make since to me, I'd got a killer deal on my carboys I've got 6#-5 gallons,,a couple gallons and a couple 1/2 gallons all plastic for less then $75 bucks,,, the stainless I paid through the noise for,,,lol,, so slowly replacing the plastic will be do-able with a little time, to buy a few new at a time would run me about $165 for a 6.5 gallon glass, 6 gallon glass and a 5 gallon glass, I like the ideal of not adding any store bought wine or juice to top up with,,, a hillbilly thing I guess, where I live until last year I had to drive almost 50 mile for alcohol, and you was very limited on how much you could haul back without getting charged with bootlegging, now I'm a big dog I only have to drive 12 mile,, woo hoo,,, hehe, I'm 50 mile from a mall, a 150 mile from a real airport and so on,,,, just so you know where I'm coming from, I awake to deer and turkey in my yard, wood all the way around me, no and I mean no noise form others living except for my parents the next person is 1/2 mile away,,, and gawd I love this quite life, I spent many years traveling city to city building stores in malls,, yup I'm or was a mall rat,,,, :D you people are great but don't let it go to your heads,,,
;)

Last edited:
Glass for me. I tried using the plastic, but with the vacuum pump sucking in the side on the first attempt, I only use the glass. If you have a strong back and don't mind gravity feed, then the plastic CB is fine.

Use both and like both for different reasons. Mostly use glass for stabilizing, degassing and clearing phase then rack to plastic for 2-3 month bulk aging [kit wines; maybe 1-2 weeks DB].

I am all for glass - mainly because of the vacuum pump and not lifting those full carboys anymore. Like others have mentioned before - dependability over time -
Take a look at craigslist or put an add out and I pickup carboys for approx 5-7 dollars each.

@vacuumpumpman,,, 5 to 7 dollars ???? man I wish, i'll be checking out flee markets very soon, the few I've seen on Craig's list have been $50 or slightly more, they seem to be very few for sale around here, :mny
but as you suggest I will be looking around here and there,,, thanks

Put an add on craiglist. ?
Looking for glass car boys - it doesn't cost Anything to try

Plastic ok for fermenting/clearing. I prefer glass/oak/stainless for the aging process. I usually make my wines from juice buckets and ferment in the bucket. Early secondary, degass, clearing, and stabilizing done in buckets. Then for aging/flavoring, I rack to glass. If you have gotten juice in plastic buckets you will know that the plastic is somewhat porous and despite several cleanings, the juice aroma remains. Not that it's a bad thing, but I prefer not to mingle with other wines.

@vacuumpumpman,,, 5 to 7 dollars ???? man I wish, i'll be checking out flee markets very soon, the few I've seen on Craig's list have been $50 or slightly more, they seem to be very few for sale around here, :mny

I have had some very good luck on Craig's List. The last 6 I bought were for a total of $50 and it included a bunch of other wine making items. You have to be patient and move very quickly when you spot something. The good stuff goes very quickly. I have also see people on Craig's List and eBay selling used carboys for $50. They have no idea how much they cost or they are counting on people being in the dark on cost. I have also found them in antique shops and garage sales. There are always people getting out of the hobby or who have lost a relative who made wine and they need to dispose of the materials quickly.

My advice, be alert, watch a number of avenues and be ready to pounce.

Chances are good that you won't find a deal on one at a "flea market" or "antique shop". The ones I've seen are priced like gold. I've told them I can get them all day for 35.00 to 40.00 new, but they respond with "I've sold lots of them for the 50 - 55.00 range. Not me!

hehe, so I've went from thinking I'd gotten a killer deal on my plastic carboys at around $75 to not so great now,, lol ,,,so since I've got a few I can wait and look for deals like ya'll suggest,,,
thank you one an all for your time an kindness of knowledge
and yes spoiledrotten at Midwestern supply I found new ones cheaper then what people around here have ask for used glass carboys, I looked and a 6.5 gallon and a 6 gallon and a 5 gallon all three together would cost me shipping and all about $110,, for the trio,,,,
you are so right about people thinking they are gold,,,,,,,,:w

Latest posts

Back