Glass or Plastic Carboy ?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They both have their uses. I like the weight of the plastic ones when filled and they don't shatter when dropped a short distance. But the plastic type are easily scratched when cleaning, and once scratched hard to get thoroughly clean. And if you use a vacuum pump to rack/degas your wine, you will have issues of the plastic ones collapsing if they are the receiving carboy.

That said I make both beer and wine and use both types.

I use both as well. Plastic (Fermonsters) are good for the tail end of primary fermentation (SG below 1.030-ish but above 1.000). I use mostly 6g and 7g sizes because I can load them with skin packs without fear of overfilling. Plus they are easy to tell if completely sealed and the airlock shows activity. My buckets could never stay sealed.

I use glass after the first racking.

I use a jet washer to clean out the carboys after a racking. Followed by good washing with PBW 5 Star.

I would say the advantage of the plastic Fermonster, due to it’s wide mouth, is you can get your entire arm in to scrub the fermentation crud out. I do not use scrub brushes, like I would for glass, but rather a soaked paper towel or a cloth rag.

Hey just wondering which one you think is better ?
For me, they both have their place in my operation. I like the plastic in the early stages of wine making when moving the carboys is an issue. I like that they are lighter and I don't have to worry about banging them against each other or a hard surface. From bulk aging onward, I like the glass

Like the others, I have both. From a quality point of view glass and PET are basically zero oxygen transmission. I have found that I can pressurize the source carboy and do a transfer/ I really don’t need to vacuum everything. So far the “crud” comes off with One Step or Straight A. Finally I couldn’t really seal a big mouth bubbler, when I try to go anaerobic I take a 120 mm silicone “bowl cover” and bungee it tight so it balloons out.

If the volume is large I prefer plastic. ;( I have busted a few glass carboys.

Plastic only, I no longer use glass for anything except small containers. Too damn dangerous, even when you are careful. Having said that, plastic can split, but I've not had that thrill yet. Using Seidels, Fermonsters, and Better Bottles.
As for racking and bottling - I use a vac system to bottle (I use the All-In-One pro filler, but not their pump), I have a positive displacement pump that will pump air that I use to rack, the value of pumping air is that I can clear the lines at the end.

Last edited:
Hey just wondering which one you think is better ?
There is absolutely no consensus on this topic. Situation normal. ;)

Like many topics in winemaking, there's no right or wrong. This is a great conversation as it helps each person make their own decision.

thanks alot for the input .... i use glass for one gallon batches ... just nervous to use glass with 5-6 gallon .. seen too many videos of them breaking
It's not that you should disregard the issue, glass does break. Lost wine, cleanup and the risk of getting hurt are real. But no one is going to post about carboys not breaking. Successful use of glass carboys probably outnumber the breaks by the 10's of thousands if not more.

My thoughts are listed in post #3.

In addition, one disadvantage of plastic is you really shouldn’t move it once the airlock is attached. The flexible sides cause volume changes which either suck air in through the airlock or force it out. Then the reverse happens once you stop moving it. At least that should be true for thin wall fermenters like the Fermonster.

thanks alot for the input .... i use glass for one gallon batches ... just nervous to use glass with 5-6 gallon .. seen too many videos of them breaking
When glass carboys break, it usually happens when moving them filled with wine. (Unless you drop them on the floor!) If you have to pick up and carry your carboys around, I can understand why you'd want to use plastic. In my case, I never have to pick up filled carboys, so I use glass.
It's not that you should disregard the issue, glass does break. Lost wine, cleanup and the risk of getting hurt are real. But no one is going to post about carboys not breaking. Successful use of glass carboys probably outnumber the breaks by the 10's of thousands if not more.
This is a good point. You hear in the news about traffic accidents, but they never report on people who arrive safely at their destination. If you focus too much on the accident reports, you might conclude that you should never drive again.

When glass carboys break, it usually happens when moving them filled with wine. (Unless you drop them on the floor!) If you have to pick up and carry your carboys around, I can understand why you'd want to use plastic. In my case, I never have to pick up filled carboys, so I use glass.
i have to move them around which is why im nervous lol

In addition, one disadvantage of plastic is you really shouldn’t move it once the airlock is attached. The flexible sides cause volume changes which either suck air in through the airlock or force it out. Then the reverse happens once you stop moving it. At least that should be true for thin wall fermenters like the Fermonster.
True, Bob. One can end up sucking whatever liquid is in their airlock into the wine. If I need to move a plastic carboy for any reason, I remove the airlock before moving the carboy and immediately replace it after the move.

seen too many videos of them breaking
You hear in the news about traffic accidents, but they never report on people who arrive safely at their destination.
I've been making wine since 1981, and have broken 1 carboy -- an empty 12 liter carboy I stumbled into and knocked over on concrete. My business partner cracked one, but he was not gentle when putting them down, either empty or full.

Folks mention repetitive stress that results from repeatedly placing carboys on very hard surfaces such as concrete. My cellar is vinyl tile over concrete ... which is just as hard as plain concrete. I put puzzle workout mats on the floor, so my carboys never go on concrete. On the counter, I just slide them.

I wondered about this.

It appears the bottom line is that moving full carboys has its dangers.

A few years back my son & I lifted a full 54 liter demijohn from the floor to the counter. We're both fairly strong, and that was not the heaviest thing we had lifted together. It was the most slippery, though. We nearly lost grip on it (it's shaped like a huge tear drop) but managed to get it onto the counter. We agreed that our action was among the stupidest things we had done, and it's by far the most idiotic thing I've done in winemaking. Since then, that demijohn is filled and emptied ONLY by pump.

seen too many videos of them breaking

I’ve broken one. Filled the carboy with hot beer wort before topping off with water. It created a thermal stress. Totally my fault.

I’m curious how videos of breaking carboys are made. Does someone video everything they do and clip out the breaking? Or do they intentionally break the carboy to to be able to post it? Personally I have no interest in watching someone break their own carboy.

Latest posts

Back