Glass carboys

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Macuser

Reaction score
If I will be making wine from 6 gallon juice buckets and the occasional kit, is there any value in purchasing some 5 gallon glass carboys? I can get them for a really good price, so am thinking of picking up a few. Maybe I could do secondary fermentation/aging in them (with leftover wine in a 1 gallon jug for topping off). Thoughts?

I have 4 five gallons and i love them. If a 6 gallon has a lot of sedimate I rack to a five. Or if I don't have enough fruit for 6. I bought them for 20 each

Mac, having too many carboys is like having too much money. I have about 33 "vessels" that range from 6.5 gallon to 1/2 gallon with holed stoppers to fit all of them. I never "top up" wine and always "size down" when racking. Just my way, not saying it is right or wrong.

I have several 7 gallon , 6 gallon and 5 gallon and 3 gallon and several 2 gallon and alot of 1 gallon and 1/2 gallon glass containers. It really comes in handy when doing transfers ,when you need to step down in carboy size.

That is my main carboy I use for bulk aging. I also don't top up I rack down to a smaller size carboy.

Kevin

I have a 6 gallon prime ferm bucket and a 6 gal carboy for secondary/aging. It's really all you need to get started, but I would also like to have about 5 1 gallon carboys to experiment with different outcomes.

Back