Glass carboy used to store pennies

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chaotik

Junior
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm getting ready to start my first batch. I bought a starter kit that came with a plastic carboy but I also had a glass carboy that I picked up in a yard sale that I used to accumulate pennies for many years. I rolled them all up and brought them to the bank (upwards of $200 in pennies ! :)

Now the carboy is empty and I'm thinking of using it to bulk age my first batch.

Is there any counter indication to use that carboy ? I read here about people using Oxyclean with the green lid and a carboy cleaner (spinning thingy with 2 blue fabric strips). Would that do the trick or should I just scrap the idea and get a new carboy ?

Thanks

The great thing about glass is that it won't absorb much (unlike plastic).

As long as the carboy is not chipped or scratched, and you can get it clean, it should be fine.

I agree with others - clean it and use it - put the 200. Towards your winemaking

I would put a scoopful of Oxyclean, non-chlorine type (green lid, I think) in, fill it with water. Let it sit overnight, then rinse several times. It should clean almost everything out.

On a side note, have no fear about the better bottle type of plastic, and not just better bottle, but that type. I use them all the time, bulk age in them, everything I do with my glass carboys. I have not detected any hints of issues with using them. I wouldn't do this with the plastic carboys that water comes in, but that is just me.

Who knows, Using the penny jug may keep the Rotten egg smell down.. LOL In time you will get that one!

You should be fine. In the old days I used 1 gallon vinegar jugs that had sat for years, the vinegar had actually etched the glass. Cleaned, sanitized, and used until I got rich enough to buy real carboys.

Back