Getting the answer you want fast!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi guys. So I'm really interested in getting into wine making. I wanted to make my own semi-sweet/dry wine, but I wanted to know if its possible without adding anything (no sugar or potasium sorbate) at all to the wine. Just straight grapes. Is sussreserve something that might work for me?
I have some time until I can start, since grapes won't be available here until September time. In the meantime I'm trying to learn everything I can. I need to make about 5-6 gallons that might end up sitting around for about a year before I need to drink it.

Well, Tamei, welcome to the forum!

I would suggest---since you have so long to wait for local grapes---that you get yourself a kit, and make some dry red wine in the interim. The kit making process will give you valuable insite into the wine making process that will help out immeasurably when you get some grapes in your hands. Also, you'll have a nice wine to drink while you're mashing grapes in the Fall.

When bulk aging, is it ok to store it in cooler temperatures? Such as between 55-65? The reason I ask is I want to make more kit wines but limited on room. Under the house though, I have plenty of room.

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

I'm not a big dry wine guy. That's why I was kind of hoping I'd be able to make semi-sweet.

When bulk aging, is it ok to store it in cooler temperatures? Such as between 55-65? The reason I ask is I want to make more kit wines but limited on room. Under the house though, I have plenty of room.

Yes, you can store/age at those temperatures. Pretty much the ideal temperature, IMHO.

I'm not a big dry wine guy. That's why I was kind of hoping I'd be able to make semi-sweet.

The only difference between dry and semi-sweet is a little sugar. I have made dry reds before that need jus a little "something". Add a small amout of sugar (just a pinch in a galss) and it suddenly finds balance.

Make a dry red and sweeten to taste. Experimentation is encouraged!

MLF or Gas

Seeing tiny bubbles at the neck of the carboy. Fermentation has been complete for a while now and has been vacuum racked a couple of times so I'm thinking is this just off gassing or possibly spontaneous MLF?? Question #2 if it is spontaneous MLF if I rack will it interfere with the process?? I don't have a kit to test for MLF. This batch, a Nero Davola was from juice pails and was already stabilized but no sorbate was added as I planned to age it without any back sweetening. :re

I think, since you were going to anyway, just let it sit. If it's MLF, then it will improve the wine. If it's just gas, then that will resolve itself over time.

Well since there was still sediment I decided to go ahead and rack. No more bubbles so far. I guess it was just gas. Oh! Excuse Me. :p

I'm going to start my cellar craft sterling chardonnay. I've decided to battonage and bulk age for 6 months. I need a yeast. There's so many to choose from. Any ideas. I'm going for the fruit fwd, buttery texture.

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

Hi folks very new, my first time making wine. I have a Vino Europa Cabernet Sauvignon style kit from Costco. I added too much water, 23 litres plus what's in a bag of must. I did not
add bentonite or yeast. The temperature is 20* and the specific gravity is 68. What can I do to save this project? Please and thank you. Linzay

Linzay....Costco sells kits??? Is it an online thing, in store, or Liquor store item? I must check this out. HAVE you used their's before?

I'm going to start my cellar craft sterling chardonnay. I've decided to battonage and bulk age for 6 months. I need a yeast. There's so many to choose from. Any ideas. I'm going for the fruit fwd, buttery texture.

What did you end up going with? I'm considering this kit for the future. In the kit description on FineVineWines it mentions tropical, pineapple, apple, pear and citrus aromas/flavors. A great choice for battonage is D47.

K1V, CY3079, D254, GHM, T306, and VL3 are also all well-suited to lees aging. I've used battonage with D47, K1V, CY3079 and D254 on meads. I'm new to wine making and only just started my first grape wine battonage experiment, but its a technique I really enjoy in meads for increasing body/mouthfeel and complexity.

Good luck!

Hi folks very new, my first time making wine. I have a Vino Europa Cabernet Sauvignon style kit from Costco. I added too much water, 23 litres plus what's in a bag of must. I did not
add bentonite or yeast. The temperature is 20* and the specific gravity is 68. What can I do to save this project? Please and thank you. Linzay

I missed this question, Linzay. I was out of town.

If you added too much water, you might get your hands on some red wine concentrate (sold my some wine hobby stores). I am going with the presumption from your message that your SG = 1.068 at 20C (68F). Add enough red wine concentrate (I have no idea how much this would take) to drive the SG up to about 1.090.

But my guess is you already found a solution or gave up on this one, maybe?

Anyone have a suggestion on what to top up a WE German Muller-Thurgau with? I'm getting ready to bulk age a batch and have come up empty trying to find something that's the same or very similar. Thanks!
Most cost-effective would be a Riesling - German preferably. Muller-Thurgau is a hybrid of Rielsing and Silvaner (I think), so it should blend reasonably well. I would probably aim for a Riesling without much bouquet as it might clash with your M-T bouquet which is one of that varietal's best features!

Most cost-effective would be a Riesling - German preferably. Muller-Thurgau is a hybrid of Rielsing and Silvaner (I think), so it should blend reasonably well. I would probably aim for a Riesling without much bouquet as it might clash with your M-T bouquet which is one of that varietal's best features!

Thanks! I was thinking of using a Riesling. Don't know why it's so hard to find any Muller-Thurgau.

Thanks! I was thinking of using a Riesling. Don't know why it's so hard to find any Muller-Thurgau.
I'm not surprised. Many wine store employees have never heard of it. It's just not common in the US, and is becoming less common in Germany. But as for blending, this is from wikipedia:

"In Germany, it has long been common to blend Müller-Thurgau with Bacchus, or small amounts of Morio Muscat to enhance its flavours. Both are highly aromatic which don't work very well in varietal wines on their own because of a lack of acidity or structure."

Can't say I know where to find those wines to blend with, so that puts you back to square one. :/

Wine Reclouded After Bulk Aging

So I'm not brand new to wine making but still something of a beginner. Made maybe a dozen 6 gallon batches or so. Some from kits and some skeeter pee and some triple berry.

So I made my first batch from grape juice a few months back. Chilean Riesling.

Followed the steps needed, everything turned out pretty well so far. Fermented, degassed, cleared.

I don't have my notes for starting/ending gravity, but anyway, the point is I racked it, cleared it, and it cleared to crystal in a few days, then I set it to bulk age.

Well I looked at it today and it seems to have clouded up again, this after being clear for a couple of months. It sits at anywhere from 55-65, depending on the house temp and I smelled it and it smells great still, not like vinegar or anything.

I just don't know what might have happened and what if anything I can do about it, rerack? Another clarifying agent?

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Latest posts

Back