Getting the answer you want fast!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Need help here. I came back on the forum and the whole format is different. How the heck do you start a new topic?

when you are in the forum you want to start the new topic, i.e. beginner's winemaking, general winemaking, etc. on the upper left side there will be a button that says New Thread

Cork in a Bottle

Has anyone had a bottle with the cork pushed all the way in?? Is there a way to get it out ?? Is it worth the trouble or better to just toss it?? :re

Yes, take a plastic grocery bag, push it into the bottle, turn the bottle upside down to get the cork beside the bag, blow some air into the bag and pull, cork will come out with the bag.

Did I ruin my first baych? I am attempting a modified Dave's Dragon Blood. All was going well in secondary (good Ph, nice tannib balance, Sg .0992, beautiful color, & and a great taste that promised amazing result with age) so I won't go into other details. At 2 weeks, of secondary I used siphon to drain into clean carboys , off of sediment. Upon finishing I was worried that I wasn't careful enough with 'splashing' and danger of oxodation. I quickly looked up the issue to find that using campden tabs when racking was helpful. Here is where my XY nature got in way by not reading directions completely. I did not read carefully snd used 1 tab per 3 ltr jug and 4 on the 6 gallon main carboy, instead of 1 tab per 5 gallon. Is this fatal to the attempt?

I believe that conventional wisdom here on WMT is that you did not ruin your wine, but it will take some time and some splash rackings to dissipate the excess SO2.

Plan is lots of time in secondary to bulk age, so that is covered. What is SPLASH RACKING? The proportions I used was closer to what is called for (on package) for initial sterilizing, much less for racking. I did not campden tab the batch between primary and secodary as I did not want to slow the yeast down artificially at that time.

Yes, take a plastic grocery bag, push it into the bottle, turn the bottle upside down to get the cork beside the bag, blow some air into the bag and pull, cork will come out with the bag.

That sounds like a great trick, can't wait to try it. I have two bottles with the corks pushed in. One is just a standard bottle but one is a nice shaped gallon that I really like.

That sounds like a great trick, can't wait to try it. I have two bottles with the corks pushed in. One is just a standard bottle but one is a nice shaped gallon that I really like.
Yeah it works! Surprised the heck out of me when I tried it and found out how easy it was to do.

Question about getting the wine to 72-75 temp. I been having the house at 72 degrees. I put the bag by the heater vent and kicked up the temp to 78. Don't want to get off starting my first batch on the wrong foot.

Any ways to keep the wine at the right temp without heating the whole house. Was thinking submergible fish tank heater but not sure how that would be in wine.

Was thinking submergible fish tank heater but not sure how that would be in wine.

A few people have used a fish heater in the must. Others put it in a tub filled with water with the primary in the tub. You can aim a space heater at the primary others use a brew belt. I use a heating pad and wrap it around the bucket secured by a small rope.

Jim

trying first batch before adding yeast. hydrometer quite high enough. around .9 and not 1.08

what to do--its a kit

Umm OK I figured it out. Lesson #1: Learn to read hydrometer correctly. So I was in right area after all.

BroknArrw,

If you are keeping your house at 72 degrees, then you are fine you should not need to heat your house anymore than that. I ferment in my basement at temps anywhere between 58 degrees to 75 degrees, depending on the time of year.

Ok, tried the plastic bag and cork trick but all the bags i tried seem to have hole and wouldn't hold air but when I was checking you tube for the demo there was a guy doing the same thing only he was using a cloth napkin. So I tried using a rag and it worked! I was so excited I got my bottles back. my wife thought I was nuts. :db

Back