Getting the answer you want fast!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very Newbie Question: I don't see any bubbles in the airlock now that it's in day 2 secondary fermenter carboy. Is this stage just to let wine age and clear, or should there still be alot of fermenting going on now? I know that most of the yeast is gone left in the primary, but not all as wine is not clear yet. Is this normal?

I'm new to wine making and am still only a week into my first few batches but while doin mine I had my large batches bubbling in secondary for a few days now.... But, my 1 gal batch fermented completely in 4 days so it has no bubbles in secondary, yet it will still not clear for a while. So with that said I'm assuming the size of the batch, the abv percentage, and type of wine you are doin will help answer your question. You can check if its done fermenting with your hydrometer buddy. Did you check it before racking to secondary?

But being new I'm not sure if its smart to take out your airlock and let oxygen in to check it now or if there's a better answer so let's see what the pro's say... Lol

Last edited:
I'm new to wine making and am still only a week into my first few batches but while doin mine I had my large batches bubbling in secondary for a few days now.... But, my 1 gal batch fermented completely in 4 days so it has no bubbles in secondary, yet it will still not clear for a while. So with that said I'm assuming the size of the batch, the abv percentage, and type of wine you are doin will help answer your question. You can check if its done fermenting with your hydrometer buddy. Did you check it before racking to secondary?

But being new I'm not sure if its smart to take out your airlock and let oxygen in to check it now or if there's a better answer so let's see what the pro's say... Lol
I'm making a Vino Italiano Merlot Red and the SG at racking was .0998. It calls for it to be at that to-.0990 before adding clearing agents ect. So the ABV is most likely complete. I just thought that I would still see some activity in the air lock is all. I can still smell the odor of yeast, but no bubbles in airlock. Looks like sediment building up at bottom of carboy, as liquid is whiter than top liquid. @keena: It is safe to take out air lock. At this stage oxgen is ok for 2nd fermentation, I may even stir once every two day to pre-degass. However once you add the clearing agents and top it off for the 3rd fermentation stage, oxygen is no longer your friend and you should avoid letting it into the wine.

Last edited:
I'm making a Vino Italiano Merlot Red and the SG at racking was .0998. It calls for it to be at that to .0990 before adding clearing agents ect. So the ABV is most likely complete. I just thought that I would still see some activity in the air lock is all. I can still smell the odor of yeast, but no bubbles in airlock. Looks like sediment building up at bottom of carboy, as liquid is whiter than top liquid.

It's not uncommon for the secondary fermentation to be so slow that you won't see activity in the airlock. Let your Hydrometer be your guide. give it a couple days check again. My guess is, it will have come down a little more.

It's not uncommon for the secondary fermentation to be so slow that you won't see activity in the airlock. Let your Hydrometer be your guide. give it a couple days check again. My guess is, it will have come down a little more.
Yeah my guess as well, just as a first timer I kind of miss seeing those bubbles...LOL

Sediment still falling so yeast is still active. No wonder floks keep so many batches going. 2nd-3rd fermentation is boring.:sl

Thanks Wade. I'm just north of Freeort, Illinois. I will assume you like guns, as noted from your photo. A little about me: I was at my range yesterday poping a few caps down range lining my scope in until the heavy snow started. Heading out this evening for some coyotes.

I love reading additions like this! It is when I read these I realise what a Brit I am...the only coyotes we know try and kill roadrunner with extreme ineptitude!

If a wine is not clear.

It has been racked once and there is sediment at the bottom.

You know it is 980 as have checked SG and it has a punch.

But as it is not clear how long would you think it should take?

I suppose I am saying my hydrometer does not go much lower and yet it still looks as though it is fermenting and it certainly is not clear.

How long do wines "normally" take (this is not from a kit but from peach).

so just tried my first strawberry wine it is 60 days old and turned out super dry. also has a bit of a harsh taste to it. what is the best method to sweeten???

1st you can back sweeten. (2 parts sugar to 1 part water) or can make a f-pac.

so just tried my first strawberry wine it is 60 days old and turned out super dry. also has a bit of a harsh taste to it. what is the best method to sweeten???

hi all.. very new at this ..so bear with me please .. (i am trying to make wine ) i have it down now for a week but not hearing any bubbles or noises from it ..but i sure can smell it and my temperature is between 65-75 .. can you please help me out here...is this wine ok ..like i said very new at making wine first timer here ..
thank you..
I use basic Juice like pure grape juice with no preservatives in it. i can make it with them but it's better with out. this is what I do. one seven gallon bucket five gallons of juice, approximately 2 pounds of sugar, one packet of wine yeast, but you can use the yeast you buy in a market. melt the sugar, melt the yeast mix in the bucket and let it sit covered up for a month, now if you're not using a breather thing and you tie up the top you'll need to burp it. so yeah right now just let it sit and ferment.

Im ready to bottle my sparkling wine. I have the plastic stoppers and wires. My corker is for corks not plastic stoppers. How do I put in the plastic champagne stoppers then twist the wires tight enough...I may not be using the message post right if not let me know what Im suppose to be doing..Thank You..CandyKi55es

Hello all.

My wine kit calls for the addition of a Chitosan pack. I see that this is a shellfish derivative. I know that some people are allergic to shellfish.
What is this Chitosan used for in clearing stage? Is the something I could substitute that will do the same as Chitosan?

Isn't this tread supposed to be for the information on how to get quicker replies and not a place to get quick replies? :?
I think individual question threads would be better so they could be searched easier.
but either way I guess ( I just wouldn't want to ready a 12+ page thread on multiple subjects) but that's just me. :D

Isn't this tread supposed to be for the information on how to get quicker replies and not a place to get quick replies? :?
I think individual question threads would be better so they could be searched easier.
but either way I guess ( I just wouldn't want to ready a 12+ page thread on multiple subjects) but that's just me. :D
Hmmm...well it is an ongoing open sticky thread? I would think it was started in order to have questions posted for answers, since moderator has left the thread open for posts no? This way there wouldn't be a million threads opened for every singel question. However I went ahead and asked the question in a new thread thanks.

Last edited:
My looked clear when I bottled it I stored it on it side so the corks don't dry out. A week after I bottled it when I went into the cold storage I noticed a white sediment all along the bottom. The wine is concord/lebonon grape. I put a clarifier in it. Let it sit for 24 hrs. Did I bottle too soon? Can it be uncorked and rebottle to get rid of the sediment? I planned on giving this for presents at Christmas and its kind of embarrassing. We opened a bottle after sitting it upright so sediment was at the bottom. It taste great but would like to make it more appealing.

styxx3805 said:
My looked clear when I bottled it I stored it on it side so the corks don't dry out. A week after I bottled it when I went into the cold storage I noticed a white sediment all along the bottom. The wine is concord/lebonon grape. I put a clarifier in it. Let it sit for 24 hrs. Did I bottle too soon? Can it be uncorked and rebottle to get rid of the sediment? I planned on giving this for presents at Christmas and its kind of embarrassing. We opened a bottle after sitting it upright so sediment was at the bottom. It taste great but would like to make it more appealing.

If the sediment is a problem, I would stand the bottles upright over-night or until the sediment settles.
I would then put them back in a sanitized Carboy (while trying to keep the sediment back in the bottle) that you have topped up with co2 or other heavier than air gas, and then let that Carboy sit for a few days just to be sure there is no sediment.
Then bottle.
Of you have a polishing filter I would use that at the same time you bottle.

styxx3805

If the sediment is a problem, I would stand the bottles upright over-night or until the sediment settles.
I would then put them back in a sanitized Carboy (while trying to keep the sediment back in the bottle) that you have topped up with co2 or other heavier than air gas, and then let that Carboy sit for a few days just to be sure there is no sediment.
Then bottle.
Of you have a polishing filter I would use that at the same time you bottle.

thanks for the suggestion I will do that and let you know how it worked

Latest posts

Back