Getting ready to Rack wine out off gross lees

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

celladwella

Reaction score
Hi All,

This year I crushed 5 cases of Merlot, and 5 cases of Cabernet Sauvignon grapes. I kept their musts separated in two brute 36 gallon pails. Their Brix were both 27, that was the best I could get with my hydrometer. I didn't add any sulfite to them just added 8 packs of Lavlin rc 212 to each primary fermentor. Didn't record anything other than temp.
9 days later I pressed the Cab with a brix now of 6 and the Merlot 11 days with a brix of 2.

Question #1 - Never made wine with that high a brix I read that I should have probably diluted. Has anyone ever made wine without adjusting the sugar down what should I expect?

Question #2 -Its been almost 3 weeks have the carboys in the basement lots of sediment bottom and on top along the neck I left room knowing it would still be actively fermenting. Getting ready to Rack I plan on adding sulfite how much I have approx 4 5gal carboys and 6 1gal jugs to do.

Question one, I am thinking you are going to have a hot (high alcohol) wine that is going to take a long time aging to come around.
Question two, you should add `1/4 tsp. k-meta (sulfites) per 6 gal. But you don't want to add them it this is still an active ferment. Wait til the ferment is completely done, then add the sulfites. Since your ferment seems to be winding down, if you sulfite it, you are liable to make it stall, then it can decide to take off again later or just get really really slow. Good luck with it, Arne.

Your fermentation is done. remove from gross lees as soon as possible to keep from getting off odors. rack again in three weeks and again in three months. add K meta at this first rack and each rack there after. add oak if desired at three week rack. Taste wine after three months, high sugar at ferment means you may have High alcohol now. If wine has a burning sensation in throat to much alcohol. add sugar syrup using bench trial to balance alcohol, wine will not be sweet.

Back