General Lees Question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mjdtexan

Reaction score
I have a General Lees question. I am doing one of the cheaper wine kits and like yall have said, there are lees building up in the bottom. They appear to be white(ish) in color. What exactly are they? Are they used up sugar? Will they be good for compost or anything neat like that or are they just for the trash?

I myself am laughing at the "General Lees" pun.

Haaaa haaaaaaa General Lees question
smiley36.gif

Mostly dead yeast and heavy fruit waste. I can not think of any use for it.

Just get it off that ASAP. Is it a "Island Mist" type? Guessing thou it may be a Cab or Merlot which are known for alot of (general) lees.
smiley36.gif

It is a most definite byproduct of making wine and beer. As the yeast works, it eats up all of it's food (sugar) and then dies. The whitish gunk is mostly the dead yeast you see, but like RT says, it may contain some solids also from the juice.

My son Will, has that same problem as your General Lee. Everybody always pokes at him. "Fire at Will. Poor Will", " Will he or won't he", he gives me the "Willy's"and my personal favorite "Wet Willy". And then I brag to people sometimes "my Willy is bigger than yours" (He is a big kid at 16 of over 300 pounds!).

Don't forget Willie Make It? and his best gal Betty Don't

The lees get disposed of, but I bet they'd be alright on the compost pile.

Thanks Everybody. I had not even thought of them being the yeast. So, the sugar gets used up 100%?

mjdtexan said:
Thanks Everybody. I had not even thought of them being the yeast. So, the sugar gets used up 100%?

Yep
The more sugar you start off with the more alcohol you will get. In winemaking you want just the right balanceof alcohol to much will overpower the wine. That's why when you make friut wines you want a lower alcohol %

I'm sorry to did asgree wit you on the use for lees

but they come in handy for making jokes about southern generals and famous steam boats
smiley36.gif

Back