General fruit wine question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The best way, IMO, for ensuring that yeast does not grow when you sweeten, is to wait a month or more after it's done fermenting to add sugar. I usually wait till the right before what is the last racking and then let it sit two weeks to a month, rack and then bottle. Just don't forget to add k-meta/campden with the sorbate. If you sorbate and no k-meta/camden, it can cause off flavors. Also, yeast is airborne, if you sweeten while another batch is fermenting (even under airlock), it can jump into that wine that you are sweetening. I had a batch start on me when I had just hit it with k-meta and was going to pitch the yeast the next day. It was bubbling before putting ANY yeast in there. Luckily, it wasn't wild and didn't mess anything up. It actually was the same yeast I was going to use. :p

Ok. I started the mush last night and added the yeast this morning. I added white grape/peach concentrate. I had to remove about 2 gallons of the must yesterday and add water to get a S.G. of 1.080. So, the must is composed of an original 35 lbs of peaches, 6 cans of white grape/peach concentrate, spring water and the usual ingredients. . . .The top of the must is starting to foam as of 8 pm!

Latest posts

Back