Gas Price Watch

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Was in Carlisle over the weekend, gas was 2.39, around the Pittsbugh area it is 2.55

Sounds like a fun trip Roy. What kind of rig are you driving? Are you pulling a vehicle as well?

Go North to WA Sate for the real wine country! :h

We are in our 3 rd week of a 3 month RV trip. Lowest gas was $1.95 & highest was $2.39. At 8.3 mpg that's GREAT! just leaving Messa Verde Co. Will be in Grand Cayon in 2 days, then Wine Country. Roy

Lots of extra gas taxes in CA. A few weeks ago when we were in Burbank, CA Costco was ~$2.69 a gallon which is the lowest I have ever seen it in SOCAL. Anything under $3.00 is crazy cheap for them.

That's $1.00 more than I paid on my last fill up. :sh

It sure is pretty there but yes, expensive to live.

Looks like we will be spending more time there soon. It appears our oldest daughter and SIL have a.......

bun%2Bin%2Bthe%2Boven.jpg

One reason I don't live there. :)

$1.95 in Houston when I was there for business this past week. Same price here in Birmingham, AL. One week ago I filled up for $1.83 a few miles down the road at Murphy USA.

Very happy but at the moment she is one big bag of emotions due to all the hormones and has her first official visit to the Dr. this Friday.

@ibglowin - GREAT, add to our population explosion! :h Congratulations, I suppose she's "glowin"......
Mike

In canada we pay anywheres from $1.06-$1.25 per liter. Multiply that by 3.78 for gallons i believe, we basically get our fuel from the usa, then before we actually see it our governement slaps 60% taxes on it or so

Last edited:
Lots of extra gas taxes in CA. A few weeks ago when we were in Burbank, CA Costco was ~$2.69 a gallon which is the lowest I have ever seen it in SOCAL. Anything under $3.00 is crazy cheap for them.

I have been told the taxes are to help keep the roads in good condition. Don't know what roads are being maintained but it is definitely not in my part of Northern California. Just an observation.

From the google:

The average price of regular gas in California is $2.50 a gallon, or about 80 cents higher than the national average. Here's why.

California has one of the highest gas taxes in the country at about 40 cents a gallon -- roughly 10 cents more than the national average.
California also has tougher gas standards than those of the federal government and mandates the use of cleaner gas with fewer emissions. Experts tout California gas as one of the cleanest-burning in the world, but the distinction doesn't come cheap. It costs more to refine because it's a special oxygenated blend that meets California's strict air-quality rules. Refineries have to use a specialized process, and only a few refineries are able to make California-approved gas.

I have been told the taxes are to help keep the roads in good condition. Don't know what roads are being maintained but it is definitely not in my part of Northern California. Just an observation.

Our Gas taxes go up a hugh amount in november. The state keeps moving large amounts of those dedicated taxes to the general fund. Voters have passed three different propositions between 2002 and 2010 (props 42, 1A and 22) saying these taxes are to be used for roads only but they keep coming up with loopholes to use them to pay off bonds or apply to different budgets while complaining they don't have enough to keep the roads in decent repair.

Our gas tax which is already the highest in the country will go up almost 50% with this newest legislation, Registration Fees also will have an additional “fee” added and and an automatic Inflation percentage is built in for the next 10 years. Approximately 30% of the estimated revenues have already been ear marked by our Governor for projects not road related. Unfortunately this is only one example of California's Taxing Style. I'll climb down off my box now and get back to looking for a cool state/place to retire to in a while.
Mike

From the google:

The average price of regular gas in California is $2.50 a gallon, or about 80 cents higher than the national average. Here's why.

California has one of the highest gas taxes in the country at about 40 cents a gallon -- roughly 10 cents more than the national average.
California also has tougher gas standards than those of the federal government and mandates the use of cleaner gas with fewer emissions. Experts tout California gas as one of the cleanest-burning in the world, but the distinction doesn't come cheap. It costs more to refine because it's a special oxygenated blend that meets California's strict air-quality rules. Refineries have to use a specialized process, and only a few refineries are able to make California-approved gas.

If it's that good, we don't have to worry about burning fossil fuels anymore, right? Oh, it's not THAT good? Then why are there extra taxes for it? (ducks for cover)

Latest posts

Back