GARLIC WINE MARINADE/DRESSING

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NorthernWinos

Reaction score
Been wanting to make a Garlic Type Wine/Marinade and have gleaned many recipes....

Liked the ingredients in my book...Making Wild Wines & Meads....
http://www.gardenguides.com/how-to/recipes/drinks/garlicwine.asp

Liked all the fruit juices that ended up in that one....But knowing that baked and cooked garlic is sweet...knew it would make a great salad dressing, but lack the punch of fresh garlic....and adding sugar would add some alcohol for stability.

So, combined fresh garlic and sugar as in the recipe from Jack Keller's Site...
http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/reques24.asp

Here is my version of Garlic Wine/Marinade/Dressing.
[Don't try this at home till we see how it goes]

~~~~~~~~~GARLIC WINE MARINADE/DRESSING~~~~~~~~~~

SLOWLY BOIL FOR 1 HOUR:

• 2 CUPS GARLIC CLOVES
[ that have been wrapped in foil...Baked 1 hour at 350°]
• 4 QUARTS WATER
• 4 CUPS CLOVES OF GARLIC [raw]
• ZEST OF 2 LARGE LEMONS

AFTER 1 HOUR ADD:

• 1 CUP LEMON JUICE FROM 2 LARGE LEMONS
• 4 CUPS ORANGE JUICE

COOK FOR 5 MINUTES

STRAIN

POUR INTO PRIMARY FERMENTER

COOL

ADD:

• 3 CANS FROZEN APPLE JUICE CONCENTRATE
• 2#SUGAR DISSOLVED IN SMALL AMOUNT OF WATER
• 2½ CAMPDEN TABLETS [crushed]
•1 tsp LIQUID TANNIN [or powdered tannin]

ADD IN STRAINING BAG:

• 2 CUPS ROUGHLY SLICED GARLIC

• WATER TO 2½ GALLONS
• S.G. 1.070

TOMORROW:

• 1½ tsp PECTIC ENZYME
• 1½ tsp YEAST ENERGIZER
• 3 tsp YEAST NUTRIENT
• RED STAR MONTRACHET YEAST

How does look to you????

Any thoughts or suggestions welcome.

Forgot to put the photo in....

garlicSmall-2.jpg

This was a messy one....
My garlic heads were small and some were over ripe..so the skins had split...

I suggest, if you plan on making a Garlic Type Wine....buy a jar of Garlic Cloves from Sam's, CostCo or walMart....they have big jars pretty reasonably....saves a lot of peeling.

If you do decide to peel garlic...Separate the cloves and soak them in hot water for a short time....they peel much easier when soaked.

BTW....2 cups of peeled cloves = 12oz by weight.

garlictouched.jpg
Smells awesome in here.....

garlicSmall-3.jpg

I think the flavor of the raw garlic will over power all the roasted and cooked garlic....But, it's all good!!!!

Wow, bet it smells like garlic around there!
smiley36.gif
Looks like it would make a really good marinade/dressing!

garlic wine////// a fellow wine maker in our club made it ,it stunk out the kitchen ,then he was instructed to move it to the basement,then to the garage and finally out side all
together it was potent in aroma to say the least ,never want even to try it.........it was that strong

Guys......This will be a marinade for venison.....It does smell good but not over powering...I barely smelled it when we came home this evening...I was waiting to open the door and get blown away, but it barely smelled....BUT, I love garlic in everything.

I think the first recipe listed above....made with baked/caramelized garlic and boiled garlic along with the apple, lemon and orange juices would be a wonderful dressing....someday I might make that one and not add the fresh garlic.

With this one I wanted lots of strong garlic flavor so it will get into the meat without adding anymore crushed cloves.

This is not your mother's drinking wine.

Yum, garlic! Won't have to worry about any vampires in the house!!
smiley36.gif

Got me thinking of my grandmothers venison roasts - she'dsprinkle itwith garlic powder (lots!) andonion powder,slather the whole thing with yellow mustard and bake it in the oven. Sounds weird with the mustard, but tasted delish when it came out!Barely had any"mustard" taste to it.

I had moved this 'marinade' to a cooler area of the house....Took a reading today and much to my surprise it was down to 1.012...So racked it to glass jugs.

The fresh garlic in the straining bag still looked fresh and had lots of flavor left in it...Thought of using it to cook, but it went to the compost bucket.

The house really smells good...Think the odor is coming from the compost bucket.

The wine/marinade has plenty of garlic flavor with overtones of orange juice.

Had to go out to the shed to recover some 'Car-baby' jugs....They were cold and lonely out there.....Think I will have to mix up some more small batches....of 'something'....
smiley4.gif

This wine had a nice layer of sediment, so I racked it off and topped up the car-babies....Still smells awesome....
Jim said it smelled like 'Little Italy' in here...

tinmanSmall.jpg

Notice the 'Tin Man' bottle caddy [Christmas gift]over looking the procedure....
[Like 'Polly' in the AAASTINKE posts of past]

Looks nice. I can't wait to see how this turns out. My husband has already started begging for some.
VPC

There was a lot of orange juice in this wine...it really took on the color and flavor...It has a hint of apple as well....but the garlic is most pronounced.

I have marinated steak in orange juice/wine and garlic before....so this will be one stop shopping.

We need a name for 'Tin Man'.....but "Tin Man' isn't too bad....
smiley4.gif

Racked the Garlic Wine/Marinade today...
It is settling out nicely, but kind of fizzy....
It has very nice garlic flavor and is going to be a great marinade for venison steaks...

garlicSmall-4.jpg

Tin Man was slacking today....forgot to take him out of his corner to have him supervise.

Racked this wine...err...Marinade... today...It is clearing fairly nice.

I did add some Isinglass, we'll see if that will get more clearing done.....

Had bottled a batch of wine and Apple Cider, rack a couple more...and, I forgot to taste this one....
smiley9.gif

20090210_161615_GARLIC_Small.jpg

I had put some Isinglass in these two 4 liter jugs of Garlic Wine Marinade....

Was too cheap to open a package of Super-Kleer KC for only this amount...

It appears to have done a fairly nice job already...

20090216_130438_garlic_Small.jpg

Latest posts

Back