gallons per year?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ziggy13

Junior
Reaction score
How many gallons are you allowed to make per year? I know with beer it's 100 gallons in a single adult home and up to 200 gallons in a 2+ adult home. What is it with wine? And do I have to add the amount of beer I make with the amount of wine I make, or is that seperate?

How many gallons are you allowed to make per year? I know with beer it's 100 gallons in a single adult home and up to 200 gallons in a 2+ adult home. What is it with wine? And do I have to add the amount of beer I make with the amount of wine I make, or is that seperate?

it's the same limit for both, but i think they are considered separate limits. so you could make 200 gal beer and 200 gal wine with 2 adults in 1 house. just sounds like alot of work for an insane amount of alc. beverages. now, if i lived with 6 other adults that drink, i might not think so.

i just hope to NOT live with that many unless i got a mansion or something :D

Not sure where you live or what your specific state laws are, but Washington allows you to make 200 gallons per year for 2+ adult home. 100 gallons a year for single adult home. I do believe it varys by state. Recently Washington corrected an old law. We can now take homemade brew to friends homes, gatherings, meetings etc. as long as you don't sell it. Before it had to be consumed where it was made. Talk about draconian!!

I make BOTH. And its a TOTAL of 200 gallons for beer and winemaking. BUMMER...
Then again... who will know?

do youn have to count it if it is drank before end of year and if so whos counting LOLOLO

SO, you can drink :dg:dg it as fast you can make it?
WOW, talk about aging... LOL:db :dg

states will differ but thats what it is for wine and beer here, same as you listed.

I doubt any law enforcement agency would spend time or resources to go after you if you made 201 gallons. It’s obviously a law to go after the bootleggers that sell without paying taxes or being licensed. How many gallons of “beer” make one gallon of shine I wonder??

I'm from PA, USA...I can barely keep track of how much I make so I know the authorities have no idea either :)

SO, you can drink :dg:dg it as fast you can make it?
WOW, talk about aging... LOL:db :dg

Na just drink everything over the limit, but I cant do that either I made way to much for that.... O ya I only made 100 US gallons this year:i:h

I'm sure if there's a law in Canada no one enforces it unless you were selling it . Does the 200 count if it's still in the aging stage ?

Something tells me that Gorilla Farmers working for the Mexican cartels who are coming into our country and destroying our national park lands by growing copious amounts of weed are keeping the ATF & DEA busy. I think you're safe a 1000 gallons per year.

Last edited:
I'm glad I only make 5 gallons a year, I mean, week, I mean...oh hell, I failed algebra twice in college so I really can't count!!:?

If you're not selling it I wouldn't worry about it. Someone just said, drink it as fast as you make it. I gallon of beer is only equal to about a 12/12 box of beer, I can wipe that out before noon, quess that makes me qualified to make 500 gals of beer each year.

I would be curious to see if anyone has ever been "convicted" of exceeding the limits layed out by your state laws. Making moonshine is going to be a way different story. If you wanna go that route, just be careful who you share with.

Then again, I am fortunate. In Alaska, you can pretty much do whatever you want as long as you are not hurting anyone else or cheating the government, and the only way you'd be doing that is to sell it. That is a COMPLETELY different game altogether.

Brew on, and if you are really concerned about, don't stand on the street corner and brag about your business.

As someone else just said, the ATF has a lot worse things to worry about than messing with the average law abiding citizen brewing their own.

It should be pretty easy to find out what laws pertain to your particular state if you are really concerned about it. But what would be the point if you were only limited to 2 or 3 hundred gallons a year. I would suspect most of us GIVE AWAY that much!

Troy

Latest posts

Back