FYI About Airlocks

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neviawen

Reaction score
Since the summer season is upon us, I wanted to give everyone a heads up about their air locks. Don't forget to check them! I went and checked on my carboys today and saw that a few of them were a little low on water. (I used other stuff in the past in the airlocks but for the most part I use spring water.)
I topped them off so my carboys all still have a good seal. The dryer air evaporates water- not just warm air. (Air conditioners pull moisture out of the air, also.)
Just a heads up!
Cheers!
Kate

I use vodka pretty much on all my airlocks. It was effective for beer brewing and I guess I just carried the practice over.

Of course I wouldn't use it with a blowoff tube. That gets a mix of water and sanitizer.

It still will evaporate so your advice is well received.

I will use either vodka or sulfited water- but yes I will always check the level of the air locks twice a week.

Since the summer season is upon us, I wanted to give everyone a heads up about their air locks. Don't forget to check them! I went and checked on my carboys today and saw that a few of them were a little low on water. (I used other stuff in the past in the airlocks but for the most part I use spring water.)
I topped them off so my carboys all still have a good seal. The dryer air evaporates water- not just warm air. (Air conditioners pull moisture out of the air, also.)
Just a heads up!
Cheers!
Kate

Thanks for the reminder.

I see that you are also located in NJ. Have you any problem with black ants?

With all of the rain, and also pressing my chillean last week, the black ants are a bit of a problem. I have been finding them in my fermentation traps.

Thanks for the reminder.

I see that you are also located in NJ. Have you any problem with black ants?

With all of the rain, and also pressing my chillean last week, the black ants are a bit of a problem. I have been finding them in my fermentation traps.

I haven't had them around my carboys but they are pretty much everywhere else. It's pretty sandy around here so they are always around outside. I heard cinnamon keeps them away. (If you want to keep them away from something, sprinkle a line of cinnamon around it and they are supposed to not cross it. Not sure if it's a wives tale but it can't hurt to try!)

Back