Finer Wine Kit FWK Petite Sarah

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks. I was not sure what to do and you are right, I could have waited a few more days and followed the next step but it’s done already. Just another question. Do cubes expand a lot or nit at all while in carboy? I don’t want to fish fir them later and break the carboy to remove them.
Not at all. Spirals are more challenging to get out of the carboy. But not so much so to skip the extra oaky goodness I like so much.

Do cubes expand a lot or nit at all while in carboy? I don’t want to fish fir them later and break the carboy to remove them.
They don't change size, at least not visibly.

There is no need to remove them. I drop cubes in the barrel or carboy and leave them as much as 12+ months. They are expended in about 3 months, and IME leaving the oak in produces a smoother wine. Like fine lees, just ignore them until you have to rack.

The cubes will pour right out. If there is any expansion, it’s minimal. I noticed they absorb some of the wine during the first 24 hours or so and you may need to top up a bit.

Thanks. I was not sure what to do and you are right, I could have waited a few more days and followed the next step but it’s done already. Just another question. Do cubes expand a lot or nit at all while in carboy? I don’t want to fish fir them later and break the carboy to remove them.
Just leave them in the carboy until the next time you rack or bottle. No harm. Removing them is pointless unless you absolutely want to do so. They will initially float, then sink to the bottom. They might swell a little but not enough that you will have issues removing.

If they swell a little, it is not noticeable. You can get them out the way they went in.

Cubes do not expand, at least by visual check. I use cubes in carboys and never have problems getting them out.

Thanks again guys and dolls (if there are any). I returned from abroad just a few days ago and I missed you all and all the info that I swallow every day. Right after my return I started the Petite Shirah kit that was sitting in the fridge and I noticed my Dragon Blood supply (my wife's favorite coincidently) almost vanished so I asked my wife and she doesn't know what I'm talking about. BTW she stayed at home so, I don't know, maybe I had a burglarer. Anyway, I had to start another batch of DB too.

Back