Funky Smelling Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jagreek

Reaction score
First of my posts on this site. So I started a new batch of apple berry wine 5 days ago and it started smelling a bit strange lately like "sweaty" or almost rotten. A friend of mine told me DAP(diammonium phosphate) would help to solve this so I added 5 grams to each six gallon batch. Just wondering if this was the right treatment and everyone else's thoughts on the matter?

Did your Wine ferment real fast?
Brettanomyces is said smell like a sweaty horse blanket, Band-aids, or smokey, barnyardy or horsey aromas. Brettanomyces is a yeast spoilage.
I am not saying that this is the issue, but adding DAP is a start, like any good yeast nutrient, it can make up for a lack of Free Amino Nitrogen and avoid Sulfur smelling wine.

You just started this fermentation. Are you sure it's not the fermentation itself you smell? I started some Pinot Gris a few weeks ago and it reeked stinky. By the end of fermentation it cleared right up.

I have been stirring it now 3-4 times daily after adding the DAP and the smell has subsided a lot so I'm assuming it was the Brettanomyces mentioned.
Did your Wine ferment real fast?
Brettanomyces is said smell like a sweaty horse blanket, Band-aids, or smokey, barnyardy or horsey aromas. Brettanomyces is a yeast spoilage.
I am not saying that this is the issue, but adding DAP is a start, like any good yeast nutrient, it can make up for a lack of Free Amino Nitrogen and avoid Sulfur smelling wine.
Thanks for the replies

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back