FSO2 testing lesson learned

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ldmack3

Reaction score
For what it’s worth here is an experience that may prove useful to others. It has to do with testing fso2 with an aeration/oxidation kit.
I have struggled for some time with the accuracy of my readings using the aeration method.
My readings always seemed low and the kmeta added rarely brought the ppm up to what I expected according to feedback and documentation.
I have threads here, have spoken to my supplier and to George at FVW.
I acquired fresh solutions and kmeta. Made sure my solutions were at room temperature, used distilled water for cleaning and used a timer for the procedure.

In the end I found the written test instructions called for a slow but steady stream of bubbles when running the test, but going back and watching the video by the supplier, it was anything but what I would call slow and steady. They were aerating the crud out of it!

I retested several batches and with all other things being equal, got a reading approximately 15ppm higher than before. I also recently acquired an SC100A (already owning a PH tester) and received the same readings as the new aeration method and a similar increase over the old aeration test method readings.

Live and learn.

Thanks. It's reading from others like you that help us from not repeating the same errors

Idmack3, I am not sure exactly what you're saying but I think it's that you're very happy with the new Vinmetrica. I use the same one and have tested it against the Ao and it's extremely close except when ascorbic acid is used. How are you adding your meta to get your target PPM? What I suggest is to never add it directly to your wine but add it to a small amount of warm water and ensure it is completely dissolved. Now stir this solution into your wine. You will get much better and quicker disbursement.

I'm always amazed at the little things that make a big difference.

I'm saying if you suspect you readings are low make sure you turn the pump up enough as per the video, not the included instructions.
I'm happy that I figured out why my readings were always off as it was driving me crazy!!!!!!
I always dissolve the kmeta first and never use ascorbic acid.
I always stir the batch thoroughly after adding.

How long were you letting it bubble? Just curious. I use slow and steady stream but let it bubble for a full 15 minutes.

15 minutes by a timer, but my slow and steady was nothing compared to the video.
Maybe just a matter of interpretation. Once I cranked it up I got more accurate readings.

Latest posts

Back