Fruit Wine/Strawberry

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jorge

Junior
Reaction score
What is the best way to clear the wine before bottling? I've let the sediment settle to the bottom but a little worried that it will transfer to the bottles while I rack it or siphon it off.

Jorge,

Using a racking cane with a foot cap on it helps a quite a bit. If there is a deep layer of lees you might wind up racking many times. I usually rack once a month, or so, and bottle after 6 months or so. I add sulfite at every other racking. With most wines six months is enough time to clear them and to let them degas naturally.

How long has it been in the secondary? If your getting sediment then you may consider racking it again and waiting another 3-4 weeks and if no more sediment falls then your ready to stabilize and bottle, if there is still sediment then rack again. It's really a test of patience.
smiley1.gif

Curt, you mention something that peaked my curiousity. "Degasing naturally"? Does that mean that we don't need to degas fruit wines like we do kit wines? I have yet to bottle a fruit wine.<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><O:p></O:p>Edited by: Big Port

Tilting your secondary carboy slightly, then as your sediment falls out it will collect more at the lower end. When racking placing your racking cane (with the foot attachment on) like curt said at the higher end should greatly reduce the amount of sediment you might suck up when racking.

JC

Edited by: jcnoren

Thanks for the help. This is my first batch &amp; it's been in secondary for about 4 weeks. I just want to make sure it is completely clear when I bottle it. I guess I still have a long way to go before it's ready for bottling. I appreciate the help.

Jorge,

Time is your best friend when it comes to clearing. Racking monthly as Curt stated will gradually eliminate the lees.

If you want a really polished, clear wine, review Martina's pictorial review on how to use a gravity filter. Pretty impressive results!

Pat

Latest posts

Back