Fruit Packs Values

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i never caught this before you saying that f-pack's are boiled or cooked, and yes i am set in my ways, but the more i learn the more my set ways change Dawg
Yes, some folks make them by cooking the fruit down to get some of the water out. I suspect that the ones that come with kits are made from concentrate and / or artificial flavors

What happens when you sauteed the fruit is you release the sugars and natural flavor components in the fruit making easier and faster to ferment and complete.
Has nothing to do with water just flavor.

What happens when you sauteed the fruit is you release the sugars and natural flavor components in the fruit making easier and faster to ferment and complete.
Has nothing to do with water just flavor.
Then why don’t we cook grapes to make wine? It’d be easier to ferment with more flavor........

Maybe I've misunderstood, but I thought f-packs ("finishing packs" or "flavour packs") were to add flavour, and sweetness after fermentation is complete. I guess my only experience with them is from a couple of kits I made. Does it really change the flavour of the finished wine if you put an f-pack into the primary and ferment it? Does fermenting 100% pure blueberry juice actually taste like blueberries? I know fermented grapes don't taste like grapes! I thought an f-pack was to put back some of the original fruit flavour that gets lost in fermentation.

Maybe I've misunderstood, but I thought f-packs ("finishing packs" or "flavour packs") were to add flavour, and sweetness after fermentation is complete. I guess my only experience with them is from a couple of kits I made. Does it really change the flavour of the finished wine if you put an f-pack into the primary and ferment it? Does fermenting 100% pure blueberry juice actually taste like blueberries? I know fermented grapes don't taste like grapes! I thought an f-pack was to put back some of the original fruit flavour that gets lost in fermentation.
hehe, i ain't got a clue,,, i've seen others talk about them, i've done some reading, but heck if i know, best i can figure, they use them to tweak their wines, or add flavor, and i guess less messy, i just add more fruit and deal with the mess come time for secondary,
Dawg

Back