Fruit Jam wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

txlbbguy

Larry
Reaction score
Has anyone made a batch of the fruit jam wine with any flavor? It sounds really good, and I would think it would taste alot like a regular fruit wine, but was curious if anyone had finished out one...any flavor...and liked it?

I have used Smucker's Red Plum, Seedless Red Raspberry, Seedless Blackberry and Mango (hard to find) to make some 1 gallon batches. They all turned out fairly well with the Mango being my favorite. I think the fact that the fruit is already in a concentrated state lends itself to the wine finishing with a good bit of flavor. If I were doing more 1 gallon jam wines, I would probably use an extra jar and reduce it for an F-pac to add more flavor.

Has anyone made a batch of the fruit jam wine with any flavor? It sounds really good, and I would think it would taste alot like a regular fruit wine, but was curious if anyone had finished out one...any flavor...and liked it?

I had a successful Strawberry one, I think it has lots of flavour, but I did use an fpac of raspberry jam for it. I really wish I had enough jam to make a bigger batch. I'm currently working on an all Raspberry batch, just trying to get it to finish fermenting. I think I put it to the carboy too soon and it got stuck.

I've made a great blackberry and a not so great apricot. I have a blackberry and a raspberry in the carboys right now.

Luc, I would love to try your recipe, but I am afraid I dont read German!! Any chance you have it translated into English somewhere? Glad to know that the blackberry works well...that is going to be my first attempt, followed by Peach, Strawberry, then Raspberry.

Luc, I would love to try your recipe, but I am afraid I dont read German!! Any chance you have it translated into English somewhere?
Scroll down, theres an english translation of the whole deal, below the first run-through

Last weekend, I bottled a gallon batch I made from Smuckers strawberry jam. It tasted pretty good before bottling. We will see what a little age does to it.

Thanks Luc...I am trying to make sure my conversions are close. You use all metric measurements and I am not very good at converting them to US measurements, so I will give it a shot. I was hoping some good winemaker had done that already and written down the amounts in U.S. measurements:) I will follow your method using amounts from a conversion chart and try to get it close!

One of my bookmarks I find VERY easy and VERY useful:
www.onlineconversion.com
It really does convert anything to just about anything else.

For example, in the cooking section I calculated 10 lbs blueberries equals 7.246 liters.

Just make sure you use pectinase. A friend of mine once made a very nice raspberry wine using raspberry jelly (or jam?). I have always had a thought to collect all those little jam packs from diners and combine them to make a wine. I could see doing a whole Route 66 Jam wine. That would be fun.

I was planning on using the pectin enzyme for sure...and I am assuming it is the same thing as pectinase. I played with the conversions on Luc's method, and then found two recipes for jam wine that were similar, but very different methods. I like Luc's method, so I am using the recipes I found from Jack Keller and one other posting...merged them...and will use Luc's method.

So...I have formulated a recipe for a 6 gallon batch since that is the carboy size I have available. Here is what I will start with and will keep a posting going on this thread of the progress, along with some pictures:

For 6 Gallons.

12 Jars of fruit jam or preserves (18 oz jars)
6 Lbs sugar
12 teaspoons pectin enzyme
12 teaspoons acid blend (and will adjust for lower or higher acid fruit)
3/4 teaspoon liquid tannin
6 teaspoons yeast nutrient
Water to make six gallons.

Day 1:
Emptied all the jam into my primary fermenter. Heated half gallon of water just to boiling, then poured over the fruit jam to dissolve it. After letting it cool to room temperature, I added the pectin enzyme and stirred it in the juice. Then covered the primary and let it set for 24 hours. Also started a yeast starter in 1 quart apple juice with a packet of Lalvin 71B-1122 as it was recommended for country fruit wines.

Well, thanks again to Luc, as so far things are progressing as he said they would if I followed his method...

Day 2
The yeast starter was going full blast, so I added the rest of the water, sugar, and yeast nutrient to the must. Here is where I made my first mistake...added the sugar I calculated I would need instead of in portions and checking the SG. I actually started with a SG of 1.100, which is higher than the 1.090 I was shooting for. Will be more careful next time. After adding all of the rest of the ingredients, I took a cup of the must and added it to the yeast starter and let it set for an hour. By then it was still "boiling" so I added all the yeast starter to the must. Smells awesome...hope it tastes as good as it smells!

Day 3
The must is in full fermentation, so things have started off very well. I will say here that Luc's recommendation of using a yeast starter as opposed to dry yeast has worked wonders...the must was already starting to noticeably ferment before I went to bed on day 2. I plan to use yeast starters on all my wines from this point on.

photo-3.jpg

I know I am a bit late in posting, but my first jam wine was a CrabAppleQuince made from own jam/jelly, then from commercial products: boysenberry, chocolate strawberry, blackberry, black raspberry, another boysenberry. I finished the chocolate strawberry off as a port-style wine by fortifying with brandy and boy is it good. Oaking the blackberry. The interesting thing, I have not had to add much sugar, if any at all, to reach my target starting S.G., which is a nice thing since the price of sugar is always increasing, or so it seems. Not to mention, the jam wines tend to be ones you can drink as soon as they are clear and stabilized, if you choose to consume that soon, plus the lees from the transfer to carboy/airlock make a great starter for SkeeterPee.

Thanks for your update on the jam wine. My blackberry is now finishing out nicely and should be ready to filter and bottle within the next month or so. It smells awesome and I can't wait to try a little, but I am trying to be patient.

Out of curiosity, how did you do the chocolate strawberry? Also, I have two quince trees and I am thinking about making a quince jam or some combination that could also be used for a jam wine later if I wanted. Did you follow the basic jam wine recipe for the Crabapple quince?

Latest posts

Back