Fruit harvesting tool, make your own

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Minnesotamaker

Pee Meister
Reaction score
With Spring just around the corner, I started getting ready for the cherry harvest. Just bought a cherry pitter and a berry picker. I plan to use the berry picker for my gooseberry bushes.
21ysN%2BIT1rL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

While looking, I came across another fruit picker that I think I'll make. It should make reaching the cherries at the top of the tree much easier to collect. The fruit falls down the tube into a bag at the end. All fruit pickers I've used had the container on the end of the pole making it heavy and cumbersome. A little bigger pipe would work for plums too.
BERRY-PICKER.jpg

Here's the website: BERRY PICKING TUBE

Thanks, Lon, I definitely need one of those cherry pickers.

Doesn't look too difficult to fabricate. We have a couple cherry trees areound here, maybe I need to go make friendss with the owners.

Lol loving the lil scoop picker. Did not realize they made such things, gonna have to invest in something like that. I used a plastic comb and wide bowl to harvest 20+ lbs of red currants last year.

There's a film about a guy roughing it in Alaska that was made in the '50s. I think it's called "Alone in the Wilderness." Fascinating. They show it on PBS TV here sometimes. He made a berry harvester like the one you have from a coffee can.

They are not legal in National Forest for Huckleberries or Elderberries.They destroy the bushes and high elevation plant don't recover quick Be very careful if you want fruit off the same bush next year.

Lon,
What did you find for a cherry pitter?? None of the new ones I have seen look like they would work at a decent speed. Arne.

Our cherries are done for the year. Brought this back up for anybody that the cherry season is still coming. Arne.

Back