From Southern Maryland

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MajBob

Junior
Reaction score
I just joined the forum this evening. Hopefully I will learn a lot from everyone here. This will be a new undertaking for me, and I hope not literally so . . .

We prefer red wines, especially the Italian Bardolinos, as well as Bordeaux and Merlot. Any suggestions on equipment kits, ingredient kits, and sources would certainly be appreciated . . .

Thanks!

Bob
Southern Maryland

Welcome Bob. As far as equipment kits I suggest you call and talk to George as he will either recommend an equipment kit or help you design 1 to your budget. As far as wine kits go, I suggest the Mosti Mondial kits. Dependong on how much money you want to spend and how much time you want to wait. The all juice or better such as Masters or Meglioli are the best but the Renaissance kits compared very closely to the all juice and are ready to drink a little earlier. Glad you have joined us and hope you stay.

Welcome MajBob. You've come to the right place, everyone is very helpful here.

Welcome aboard Major, a call to George would sure lead you where you want to go. Have Fun!

I think I have already received your email. I will respond tomorrow. Sunday is my kinda, sorta day off.
smiley5.gif
I close the store and just pay bills, work on the web site, prepare purchase orders and lurk on the forum.

Thanks - all - for the warm welcome.

I placed my first order last night - after first discussing with the Frau. She gave a green light, and I read that as go with the ultimate . . .

Not too sure yet if'n I dun gud. Waiting for Mr C to review the order and get back to me if I goofed.

I'm looking forward to learning a lot from y'all. Please be gentle with me - I'm relatively ignorant 'bout winemaking.

Cheers!

Welcome to the forum! George will take good care of you. You must be a wise man to run this all past the frau.
smiley32.gif
I look forward to following your adventures in wine.

Welcome to our forum. I recommend the Mosti kits. I was a big fan of the higher end Wine Expert kits until I made a couple Mosti kits. I racked mine again Sunday for bulk aging and took a taste of each (Masters Edition Carmenere Mondiale, and All Juice Original Montepulciano) and I can officially say WOW! They are nice.I started both of them right after Winestock 2007 (September)and am going to bulk age them until the one year mark before I bottle unless I need the carboys for some reason.

Welcome MajBob...everyday is a learning experience....even when making wine....you'll do just fine here at Fine Vine Wine's Forum.

Thanks, Mr. Smurfe. I appreciate your quick responses.

Where do you age your wine? It's even hatter down your way than here in Maryland. I'm thinking that my un-air conditioned garage would be too warm, and I don't have a basement (although I do have a walk-in crawl space - stays fairly cool down there.) When I brewed home brew I used to age the beer in a carboy on the bathroom - with door closed and air co vents wide open. But that won't work for more than a couple of weeks.

Also, where do you store your bottled wine? My wife is getting concerned that I've taken over too much space in her laundry room with wine racks . . . She's eyeing "MY" space - the garage.

Are you a Major before becoming a winemaker? Glad to have you. We have fun becoming friends here and there is lots of help available. Tell us more about yourself.

Welcome......Ramona

the crawl space should do fine if theres room you could agr there and store your bottles as long as the humidity is ok

acesover said:
the crawl space should do fine if theres room you could agr there and store your bottles as long as the humidity is ok</font>

Thanks, Aces,

I'm not sure what is OK for humidity. My crawl space is very spacious - I'm 6'3" and I clear it with ease. But in the spring rainy season, it can get quite damp. (we don't keep yard tools down there long term - because of problems with rust. ) Short term (a couple of months??) it might be ok??

We are smack dab in the middle of what used to be the northern headwaters of the Zekiah Swamp. Between that and the Chesapeake Bay, the water table is quite high. A paper label might mildew if left down there for too long, though. Is high humidity a factor otherwise?

Thanks!</font>

Your corks might mold too....
smiley3.gif

It sounds like a large usable but wasted space...perhaps you could make room down there and control the humidity.

Temp and humidity play big roles in whether a bottle will age gracefully or become nasty fast. Humidity should be approx. 65% and temp. should be 55* for long term storage. Keep in mind that not to many people have these conditions and have to deal with what we have. Best thing for your wine is to find the coolest most stable temperature that you can find in your house. In ex. if you have a closet that is 55* at night and 0* during the day vs a room that stays 70* almost constantly, go with the room that stays 70*. The reason for this is that wine contracts and expands just like any other material and when it does this it breaths in air when it contracts and breathes out the air when it gets warmer causing rapid oxidation which will decrease the SO2 content of your wine, turn your wine brown and ruin the taste. High humidity will increase the risk of mold forming on or in your corks and very low humidity will dry out your corks even when the bottle is laying on its side cause the whole cork doesnt stay moist from the wine, just the inside edge which keeps the seal.

MajBob, Hi and welcome to the forum!!! You will always find help here, and more!!

I was born and raised on the Eastern Shore of MD. :)
I miss the water tributaries and seafood as I retired from the Army here in AZ.

Enjoy the process and the finished product.

Is that Univ of Arizona VolksWagon Man?? Was you an Intel weenie?

Wade,

Would sealing the cork in wax help retard the mildew on the corks??

Northern Winos,

Thanks for the suggestion - that's the best idea I've had in a while . . .

Seriously - some years back I toyed with the idea of building a winecellar down there. If I enlarged one of the foundation vents, I could fit a room air conditioner in there. The only problem then would be accessibility. the only entry point is a door out back - not bad in good weather (I'm wheelchair bound.) - - But then again, that's why I married a younger woman!

Wife, go down and fetch me a couple o' bottles o' vino! (or should it be ", please?") Hmm . . .

I think the wax would do the trick but the labels like you said would be surfaces to attract mold and they wouldnt last long.
Edited by: wade

Back