From primary to the secondary

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr_Detail

Reaction score
For my first wine, I am planning to try a Blueberry-Pomengranate.
I am now convinced by some of you guys here to make a larger amount than what I originally thought to do (one gallon) and will do at least 3 gallons.

My question is this. When I rack the must from the primary, is it better to rack to three individual one gallon carboy's or can I save some $$ and transfer it all to say one three gallon carboy?

As a follow up to this, I think I remember reading somewhere that I will need to stir the secondary stage on a regular basis. How can you stir it in a carboy? (small neck)

Yes, you can rack to either
a. 3 - 1 gal. carboys or
b. 1-3 gal. carboy

If you know you are going to backsweeten, etc. the same to the whole batch, I would use the 3 gal. I will sometimes use the 1 gal. option if I am going to experiment with some different additions, ie: chocolate, oak, cinammon, etc.

No, you don't need to stir it when you rack it to the secondary. Let it sit and finish fermenting. If you stir it, you will constantly be stirring up the sediment off the bottom and mixing it back in.

wineforfun,
At what point do you "back-sweeten" if necessary?
Do you taste a sample of the secondary wine after so long and then determine yoursewlf if it needs more sugar?
Then does the wine need to sit longer again in the secondary before bottling?

Thanks!

wineforfun,
At what point do you "back-sweeten" if necessary?
Do you taste a sample of the secondary wine after so long and then determine yoursewlf if it needs more sugar?
Then does the wine need to sit longer again in the secondary before bottling?

Thanks!

I'll try this.

You back sweeten your wine once it has completely settled out and/or bulk aged. Sweetening is done 3-5 days after you have added k meta and potassium sorbate to it to stabilize it (and there are other ways to stabilize but a beginner should use kmeta and sorbate). In my operation, sweetening is done just prior to bottling. I rack the wine into a new carboy and do my "bench tests" of taste and sweetness. I sweeten to taste, but others sweeten to a final gravity number.

Some will taste test and then use the final sweetened test sample to get a gravity reading, then sweeten the remaining wine to that reading. I just rack from a 5 to a 6.5 carboy, then start adding sugar until it is what I want. I use granular sugar right out of the bag, but some use an invert sugar syrup they make on the stove.

One thing about your testing: You may find (as I have) that the wine actually gets sweeter a few days after you have back sweetened to your desired level, no matter if you use an invert liquid or the granular sugar. I usually try to be just short of where I want it to account for this gain that comes as a result of the sugar becoming more homogenized in the wine after a short storage period.

Thanks Jim.

a beginner should use kmeta and sorbate

Are 'kmeta" and "sorbate" two individual items? or are they purchased as one?

How does one stir up the wine in a 6.5 gallon carboy?
Shake, shake, shake..... ??

kmeta and sorbate are two diffrent chemicals
a long racking cane will stir the carboy

Thanks Jim.

Are 'kmeta" and "sorbate" two individual items? or are they purchased as one?

How does one stir up the wine in a 6.5 gallon carboy?
Shake, shake, shake..... ??

Potassium sorbate ("sorbate") and potassium metabisulfite ("K-meta") are two different chemicals.

To stir, you can use something like this:http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/winemaking/wine-equipment/wine-fermenting-equipment/wine-mixing-degas/28-plastic-paddle.html
7329.jpg

You just need to put the OTHER end in first!

You can also use a drill-powered paddle: http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/mix-stir-stainless-steel.html
7249.jpg

Mr. Detail - By racking it all to a 3 gallon carboy, you can get more consistency in the batch. Bulk aging the whole batch is recommended, but, you can age in 3 separate carboys if you desire.
Don't worry about stirring the wine in the secondary, you'll mix everything back up and defeat the purpose of letting it settle and clear naturally, but, if you choose to, you can get a proper stirring paddle of spoon from one of our sponsors.
I agree with jswordy regarding back sweetening, you can either go by taste, or by Gravity reading, using your hydrometer. I really agree with waiting a day after back sweetening.
As James stated, Meta and sorbate are two different products that you should have in your wine making tool kit.

Back