Mosti Mondiale Fresco Line and Grape Packs

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jwatson

Reaction score
I would like to try MM's Fresco line, Montepulciano fresh juice. Other threads have stated that even fresh juice, without the grape skins, can be thin. Would it be okay to add a Cabernet grape pack from George along with some FT Rouge to the juice bucket once it thaws and fermentation has begun?

I don't see any reason why you could not add Cabernet Sauvignon or Syrah, even. You could also add red raisins, which would cost you a lot less and you could get them locally.

+1 on the red raisins. Get a pound or so of the organic red flame from Whole Paycheck and toss them in. That will add some nice mouthfeel. Montepulciano is not an overly tannic wine so the grape skins are not really necessary and the raisins will take it to the next level for sure.

Mike, when I saw "Whole Paycheck" I wondered if that was another gourmet food super market and then I got the sarcasm. "Whole Foods" does tend toward the "pricey" side. LMAO. :)

Its a fun place to shop but if you did all your grocery shopping there you would be broke pretty darn fast especially at the meat or seafood counters.

Beautiful stuff for sure but $29.99 a pound for salmon! :d

What type of variety is red flame raisins? Sounds like they are they way to go. I used zante currants in a Brunello last year. Has anyone tried zante currants? They are a vitis vinifera variety.

Its a red seedless table grape that has not been treated with sulfites. They are also a little larger than the golden raisins you find in the store. I have heard of others using the zante currants but have not personally tried them. They may be a little harder to find depending on where you live. The main thing you want to look for is no oil. Some of the raisin manufacturers spray vegetable oil on their raisins to keep them from drying out prematurely. The ones found in your local organic grocery store will not have any preservatives on them. Cost is usually about $2 a pound or so.

I would steer clear of the grape packs on full juice kit or even a high juice content kit.

Tried this experiment and raised alcohol high enough to kill yeast.

Made a killer fortified wine though..... just know that is probably what you will get. The packs work better to beef up the lesser kits 12L and below, maybe even 10L and below.

I used a CC Syrah grape pack on a Mosti AJ Petit Syrah last year. No problems. Fermented to dry as normal. Starting SG was 1.102. Tasted fantasic when bottled. Its about 13mo old now. About time to try a split.

Ok, that's good to know, Mike. I do like the thought of the 23L of juice and a pack.

I made mine with a CC showcase which had a grape pack and then added a smaller Syrah pack.

Latest posts

Back