Juice Bucket and Grapes

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ttaje16

Junior
Reaction score
I have a similar question to a previous post but slightly different. I have ordered lugs of Grenache and Tempranillo grapes along with a juice bucket of Syrah (Syrah grapes are not available in my area which is Edmonton Alberta).

The juice bucket is supposed to arrive after the grapes, so I am hoping to place the pressed skins in with the juice. The question is would I add enzymes to the juice bucket even if I added them to the original grapes?

Interesting question. I expect the enzyme(s) added to the original batches will be all that is needed. I'm not sure how much you'll get out of the skins in the last fermentation, although I'd try it. There's nothing to lose and possibly some to gain.

If there is any delay between moving the pomace from the original batches to the last one, I'd freeze the pomace in between.

Interesting question. I expect the enzyme(s) added to the original batches will be all that is needed. I'm not sure how much you'll get out of the skins in the last fermentation, although I'd try it. There's nothing to lose and possibly some to gain.

If there is any delay between moving the pomace from the original batches to the last one, I'd freeze the pomace in between.
In years past I have gotten the grapes the first or second week of September and was told the juice bucket would arrive end of September or first week of October so I would think the timing would either work out pretty close or I would need to freeze for a week or so.

I figured the used skins would be better than no skins.

I figured the used skins would be better than no skins.
My first thought was, "why not?", but considering the pomace will be pretty much expended.

Thinking further, I considered the 2nd run wines I make -- I get a fair amount of oomph from the pomace, and that's with water & sugar, not juice. I'd expect good results.

Back