Freezing Fermented Pulp for Second Run Wines

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I had this crazy idea and wanted to see if anyone has a reason it wouldn't work. I make A LOT of country wines using fresh fruit. Several times I have made second run wines from the pulp after racking. When making second run wines I have always found that, to get a wine with a satisfactory flavor I have to either a) make a smaller quantity of the second run; and/or b) supplement the pulp with juice, fresh fruit or concentrate. For the most part I have been very satisfied with the results, but the supplementation always seemed to defeat part of the purpose of a second run wine (to get a "free" second run from the fruit). Then I thought, "what if I start freezing the pulp after racking and then, when I have several batches of pulp, make a mixed fruit wine that would not need to be supplemented by juice, fresh fruit of concentrate?" I realize the freezing would kill any yeast in the pulp, but since I keep my own yeast starters and cultures on hand constantly (started several times a year from packets bought at the winemaking shop), that's not really an issue. What do you think? Maybe I'm reinventing the wheel, but I havn't been able to find a thread on point and the only reference I have found anywhere to anything similar is a reference to freezing pomace on Jack Keller's blog.

yes you can freeze you pulp and freezing does not kill yeast. Once thawed you can continue as if you hadn't froze it.

success can be for free on second run wine. suggest the following. using 75% volume of water from the original wine for example a 7 gal batch make a 5 gallon water. add two lbs sugar per gallon and 7 grams per liter tartaric acid, add to saved pomace. you can also save the pomace and freeze as you suggest. if you do freeze it than more yeast will need to be added to second run as cold temp probably killed any left over yeast. if fresh no yeast is necessary. it also best if second run wine is on pomace that had not be pressed or lightly pressed.

Back