Free Sour Cherries, now what?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

REDBOATNY

Reaction score
I have free sour cherries available. Does anyone know pounds per gallon needed? Also, a good pitting method? I am looking to make 5 or 10 gallons and ferment on the pulp in a staining bag. I would probably freeze the cherries now and ferment after fishing season.
Thanks,
Dave

I use at least 5 lbs. per gal, sometimes more. You will get more flavor with more cherries. I also pit mine before freezing. Seems like the pits give it a bitter taste. The bitter taste seems to go away with time, but takes a year or more. I have an old cherry pitter. gets most of the pits, but not all. Not as important to get all of them when winemaking as it is for making cherry pies. If you can't find a pitter, the only option I know of is start squeezing them. Make sure you catch the juice when you pit them and use it in the wine. Good luck with it, mine are in the freezer, will be weighing them and getting them thawed out in the next few weeks. Pie cherry wine is good stuff. Arne.

Yup what Arne said and I have used a large paper clip or a small paring knife to insert and scoop out the pit, holding over a pail cause it's does get juicy.

Good luck and it will make one of your favorite wines!!

We use 10# per gallon and no water. I agree that they should be pitted. We have one of those antique cherry pitters and it works very well. You get a very big cherry flavor on the wine if you use lots of fruit and no water.

Latest posts

Back