For you Coffee Drinkers out there

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jobe05

Reaction score
When we went to NYC a few weeks ago we went to Zabar's (a popularwest side store)(also a part of "You've Got Mail" was filmed here, this is were Kathleen Kelly went through the Cash only line and had no cash..... Anyway.....).....

Having never tried Kona Coffee, not because it's hard to find, but because it's $36 a pound, I had to try a bag of their Kona "Style" coffee @ $7 a pound. As an avid coffee drinker, Folgers only, I now cant drink anything but this stuff. It is so smooth and creamy tasting it's hard to describe. When I go back to what I have drank all my life, it's very bitter as compared to the Kona Style. Try it, You'll be amazed, I was.

http://www.zabars.com/?gclid=CP7MoOWc7owCFSBMGgodsVLm6g

Disclosure: I have no affiliation with Zabar's, it's owners, employees or affiliates.......... I make no money or recieve products or discounts on indorsements. I just truely like this coffee.Edited by: jobe05

Jobe. I found the same thing, kind of. I bought a single cup coffee maker that uses these pods of coffee (or tea). Costs about 50 cents a cup which sounds expensive but it's a lot cheaper than Starb**ks.

I've now given up on my home coffee put, can't touch any of the office coffee and and can't tolerate Sta**ucks. Got myself a good deal that spoils everything else.

Come to think of it, The MM Amarone with raisins causes me similar problems.

I was lucky enough to get a nice can of Kona from a brother that visited the islands a few years ago, your right, its very good stuff!

Ive had it a few times (the real thing) Good stuff but Ill save the money and just treat myself once and awhile.

I went to college with Lori Zabar (daughter of one of the founding brothers, I think). Really cute girl. No luck, however.
smiley9.gif

So she wouldn't share her beans with you huh Peter? And you were hoping she would send you some coffee home........ sure....... Does SWMBO ever read these posts? You might really be in trouble now!
smiley18.gif
smiley11.gif

pstttttttt appleman......come here buddy.......I don't wanna be looking like no dumb hick so while nobody else is around..What the hell does SWMBO mean?

My gawdddddddddddddd appleman....wuz the whole dang forum a listening in on our conversation !!!!
smiley4.gif

No, SWMBO doesn't read the forum. She says it's my place, and she doesn't want to intrude.

My acquaintance Lori Zabar well preceds my meeting SWMBO. When I graduated college in 1975, I went to work for ICC Industries, a chemical trading company. In January of 1977 she went to work as the secretary in ICC's Houston office. I was a product manager importing industrial chemicals into the US. One of the chemicals I was responsible for was ammonium bifluoride, which I was bringing in from Japan, and her boss was selling it faster than I could buy it. As a result, I was often waiting for Don to get off the phone, and SWMBO and I would talk. [I later learned that he wasn't on the phone, she just liked me.]

In early August of '77 I went to Houston for a week to work with Don. (Great timing, eh, Ramona) I spent a week in Houston, dating SWMBO every night, went to NOLA for another week, and then back to NYC, having decided that I was going to marry SWMBO. A week later I quit my job, and on Labor Day weekend I drove a "U Transport" car, pulling a small U-Haul trailer to Houston.

It took me 6 months to talk her into marrying me, and 6 months after that we were married. It will be 29 years in September.

She has nothing to worry about.

You are such a romantic! Nothing like the way Hilda decided that Rumpole would marry her!
smiley36.gif

What day in September Peter. Kat and I will be celebrating our 38th on September 6th

Anyone else get as amused as I do on how these threads/topics can take such a subjectturn?
smiley36.gif

What? You dont see the connection from Coffee to Marriage?
smiley36.gif
Our 23rd is on Sept 29th. Looks like a popular month, even if it is the reason keeping me from Winestock.

My wife and I go to the islands regularly. I have tried all of the island coffees so I can tell you this. Any coffee that is labeled blend, by law only has to have 10% of the advertised product to be labeled as such. The Kona blends are usualy about 15-30% when they are blended in the 48.

Coffee companys can not make any money unless the blend is weak, due to the limited acerage available to farm. Its not a rip off, just simple math needed to turn a profit.

The very best coffee is Maui 100% and 12-18 a half pound are standard prices depending on yeild each year. Sometimes yeild is up like the last few years, so it runs cheaper. It is less bitter than Kona and has a fuller more well rounded flavor. It is a somewhat rarer bean than most, and produced in a microclimate that only exists there, in porportion to sun temp,and elevation.

http://www.abcstores.com/browse.cfm/4,1347.htm
18 per pound and shipping is good for 100% Maui. Be certain the package is marked 100%

http://www.mauicoffeeco.com/

Edited by: Mike777

I have to admit I've not had the opportunity to have good Hawiian coffee.But, I did have great coffee in Jamaica (mon). I never had even a marginal cup there. Always excellent. It gave the strength to get up and do what needed to be done.
smiley2.gif
And, Canada has never served me bad coffee either. Even really good coffee in London. Maybe it's just American coffee that is bad.
smiley5.gif