For all of you not in the NYC area

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm sure it is fantastic, I've never met a pizza I didn't like. I just didn't want to miss an opportunity to give JohnT some shine-ola. He dishes it out but not afraid to take it either. On out next trip to the city I'll be sure to check out Rays.

It's hard to find a good pizza close to home here in hill billy land so I make my own.

I prefer my own as well. Make my own dough and sauce. Haven't perfected it yet, but am enjoying the journey. I really need a wood fired oven so I can get 700-800 degrees. Here's a recent one. Half pepperoni, half with meatballs and roasted red peppers. A little over cooked on top, but still yummy.

image.jpg

Jim I just about bought this pizza oven last week. http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/sto...-pizza-oven-box/1042363606?Keyword=pizza+oven

It gets 600-800° on your gas grill. But after reading the reviews I just wasn't sold on it. It also appears to only do small personal pizzas properly. It does cook them in 2-4 minutes.

That's kinda cool. I've had my eye on a "Kettle Pizza" for a while. Will probably take the plunge soon.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005SFJLOI/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:
Now atsa pizza!

Ackk!! I cannot figure out why they cut it square in the Midwest! Drives me nuts! As an Easterner, it just seems wrong. As a scientist, it just seems ugly -- Can't you see the underlying symmetry of the original??? Why are you imposing a different symmetry on it? :m

Why do scientists hate squares? Lol!

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

It is just not right to post pictures of naked pizza.

It is a gradual process.
My kids did not like pizza,
then they did not like too much sauce.
They dont like toppings.
but little, by little I have added something to it.
in a few years I will be getting a pizza with everything on it.

but for now I sit in the corner with my naked pizza, stuffing my face with jalapeno poppers!!!!
:se

Thanks for setting me straight JohnT. I really thought I enjoyed the Bleu cheese/fontella/dried cherry/duck bacon pizza my buddy made at trout camp last weekend. It obviously was all just a bad dream. I'm going back to over sized Chef Boyardee.

With all of that pretentious stuff on it, how can you taste the cheese and tomato sauce? :)

Also, did you know that the original Chef Boyardee was an actor originally from Michigan?

It may look like an over-sized Chef Boyardee Pizza but if that one is a Ray's Pizza from Greenwich Village you would be in for a real taste treat! I agree with JohnT, New York Pizza is real Pizza!

In NYC there are two pizzarias that are considered the best. There is Ray's and there is Famous Ray's. These two have had a bitter rivalry going on for a number of years. I wonder if your Ray's in Greenwich Village is the same folks? If so, then you guys really have heaven on warm bread.

I'm sure it is fantastic, I've never met a pizza I didn't like. I just didn't want to miss an opportunity to give JohnT some shine-ola. He dishes it out but not afraid to take it either. On out next trip to the city I'll be sure to check out Rays.

Wow, who would have though that just because I hate Welch's and love great pizza, I would have some folks gunning for me. Sheeeesh!

:slp:slp:slp

Why do scientists hate squares? Lol!

We don't hate squares -- we LOVE squares. Descartes is a hero. But this assumes that the underlying object has either square symmetry or no symmetry at all.

If you were describing a snowflake, would you use Cartesian coordinates? :? No! You would use hexagonal coordinates.

When you cut a pizza into squares, you get small pieces on the edge that are almost all crust, and you get all the pieces in the middle with no crust, i.e., no handle, at all. :slp Who could possibly think that is a good idea? :p

Yes, we often had Sicilian pizza growing up. (Could feed more mouths for fewer dollars.) I liked it okay, but was never a big fan of the thick, doughy crust.

John,
I think you may have just stumbled onto the holy grail, Welchs and pizza. That sounds like a great combo to go after this Saturday, thanks.

John T you certainly know how to bring about a lively conversation. Long may you bring it to this forum.

BC

John,
I think you may have just stumbled onto the holy grail, Welchs and pizza. That sounds like a great combo to go after this Saturday, thanks.

images

Back