Food saver as a degasser

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Personally i have the wine saver you see below, and i use it as my degassing tool and it works great. The adaptor piece fits a #7 bung (drilled) nicely. I use it on carboys and gallon jugs alike.

I leave about a 4" head space and pump away. A few pumps and it bubbles away, having to repump about every 30 sec. Do this for about 10 min and nicely degassed. Cant beat it for like 5 bucks imo.

4b1afb5a4fcd1_115148n.jpg

Edit: remember degassing with a vacuum always runs the rick of imploding the jug you are doing it on. Check well for cracks and chips before doing it.

Last edited:
I had my foodsaver set up to de gass. It took forever because it keeps shutting off when it reachs vacuum level. I find it faster just to shack the carboys. I do have a drill set up as well but seldom us it. Most of my de gassing is done with nature and time

Using the intake side of a small compressor also works.

Using the intake side of a small compressor also works.

That is what I have done thus far. I may by a bottle vacuum and give that a try..

I would be interested about how you go about using the small compressor. I have mine set up and all and what I do is turn it on for a few seconds and off a few seconds and repeat.

winemaker_3352 said:
Just make sure whatever you use you have a way to read the mercury being pulled - keep around 18".

Sorry never heard this. Please explain

Its the reading on the regulator that you should be using if you're using mechanical means to degas your wine.. 18-20" is about all it takes to degas wine, and not risk the carboy.. Provided the temp is up around 75F

Exceeding a certain threshold - which is debated, some say 25", some say 30", some say higher - can actually implode your carboy which not only makes a mess of your wine but in all likelihood would sent you scrambling for 911

I have a 12 volt compressor that I converted to a vacuum. How can I put a gauge on that? Could I just run a line from a t to the gauge?

Yeah - you can probably get a gauge at the auto parts store - should have an inlet and an oulet on the gauge - run the pump hose in and out of it.

I have a 12 volt compressor that I converted to a vacuum. How can I put a gauge on that? Could I just run a line from a t to the gauge?

just put a T inline on the vacuum side , hooked up to the vacuum gauge, rember you will need some sort of vacuum release or 1/4 valve as well

Rember for all the necessary parts you will be purshasing I do sell the complete assembly which transfers, degasses and bottles for approx 200 dollars - 30 day money back guarantee and 1 year limited warranty

Ok everyone I am looking into this a little further and I really thank you all for the advice, also do you have a website to check out ur product vacuumpumpman?

Thanks Deezil , I also PM her as well

Thanks for the chat last night - I am going to have to go in the chat room more often

Personally i have the wine saver you see below, and i use it as my degassing tool and it works great. The adaptor piece fits a #7 bung (drilled) nicely. I use it on carboys and gallon jugs alike.

I leave about a 4" head space and pump away. A few pumps and it bubbles away, having to repump about every 30 sec. Do this for about 10 min and nicely degassed. Cant beat it for like 5 bucks imo.

4b1afb5a4fcd1_115148n.jpg

Edit: remember degassing with a vacuum always runs the rick of imploding the jug you are doing it on. Check well for cracks and chips before doing it.

I do the exact thing but I find a 7.5 inch bung works better. It works great but be sure to pump it up every day or two.

Just make sure whatever you use you have a way to read the mercury being pulled - keep around 18".

I need an explanation also. I have been going with my pump so far just on a low setting on the gauge. There are 2 sets of numbers on the gauge (like mph/kph on my odometer). I don't really know what either of them mean, which I should be using, and where I should be setting it for different purposes.

What is the right number for racking? Degassing? Bottling?

I need an explanation also. I have been going with my pump so far just on a low setting on the gauge. There are 2 sets of numbers on the gauge (like mph/kph on my odometer). I don't really know what either of them mean, which I should be using, and where I should be setting it for different purposes.

What is the right number for racking? Degassing? Bottling?

Without looking at the guage - but you want to read the #'s for the "inHg".

Latest posts

Back