Mosti Mondiale Follow directions or add k-meta?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keahunter

Reaction score
Hello...me again with another "first time I'm making wine" question. I'm making a Mosti Mondiale kit and it's currently clearing. The instructions say to leave it sit for 7-10 days while it clears (although it's so dark red I'm not sure how to tell if it is actually clear without transferring to another carboy) ...but that's not my question. My question is, the instructions say after it's clear, to add sorbate before bottling. It does not say to add any k-meta. From what I've been reading, it seems like a lot of folks add k-meta right before bottling. Should I follow the directions and leave it out or add some on my own? If so, how much for 6 gallons? Thanks!!

Did the directions have you add K-meta when you added the clearing agents? It would have been a packet included with the kit.

I've never made a Mosi kit but WE, Paklab and CC have you add K-meta at clearing.

IMO A big red wine takes at least 14-21 (or more) days to clear thoroughly.

I never use the Sorbate anymore in dry wines, and I don't add extra K-meta if I am bottling "on schedule". Extra K-meta is needed for subsequent rackings.

Kevin, I did add it when I added the clearing agents. I am planning on bottling "on time" so I won't worry about adding extra k-meta. Thanks!

Last edited:
The extra k-meta is to keep the wine from oxidizing over extended time. The term extended is kinda hard to pin down, but since most of my reds sit well into their 2nd year, I add it.

Latest posts

Back