Foch

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mmanto

Reaction score
We have grow about 60 Foch vines and produce ~hundred pounds of grapes but would like to blend it with a hardiere red for more body less fruity taste... any suggestions on what type of. Northern Jersey Grape I should grow?

possibly a Norton. I would see what are grown around your area, Norton or other reds, buy a bottle and blend it with your Foch. this way your growing effort would be towards a know good blend.

Norton is a good choice, but this grapes tends to be very foxy and tannic. By and Large, Nortons need age to soften.

Another choice I would consider is Chambourcin. This grape has the potential to product a rather nice, dark wine on its own, but this seems to be rather "hit or miss". I had Chambourcins that were great, and I have had some that were just plain horrible.

Yet another choice I would consider is Landot Noir (a local winery here once produced fantastic landot noirs.

Thank you...do the grapes you mention grow well in NJ? Where would you recommend purchasing these vines?
The reason I am asking these questions is due to this years winter vortex that we lost 90% of our Chardonnay vines this year

Thank you...do the grapes you mention grow well in NJ? Where would you recommend purchasing these vines?
The reason I am asking these questions is due to this years winter vortex that we lost 90% of our Chardonnay vines this year

Yes, they should do well in NJ. A number of our local NJ wineries have had good success with these.

Back