Florida Cold Stabilization

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cohenhouse77

Patience Apprentice
Reaction score
This is my solution to cold stabilization. We'll see if it works. My son called me a smart maniac. I shall report my results...

ForumRunner_20130429_193415.png

I have my doubts that that will work. Little to no airflow with that indirect connection to the diffuser and the air temp will be no lower than the low to mid 60s. Cold stabilizing usually requires temperatures near freezing or below, although since you are from Florida mid 60s may seem near freezing to you! You should look for a small chest freezer, usually available at Sears for under $200.

I'm actually quite amazed by the directed air. It is reading 55 degrees, because I keep it 73 in my house. It has dropped quite a bit of crystals since I have done this, but i am now reading that it will drop crystals, but only what it will drop at 55 degrees. Then if I get it colder, it will drop more. I guess it's the garbage can method, or a fridge. I just don't have the room for another fridge.........yet.

Yep.... Very true.... Your other carboy has way too much head space in it too...

Now the question of how long.... I have a few weeks of ice making for sure.

Your killing yourself..... Just pickup a used small cheap chest freezer and turn it up to just above freezing..... Done

Put on a different note..... Why are you even doing this?

Your killing yourself.....
Lol!

My wine funds are cut off until after summer per the wife. I couldn't even get the all-in-one in time before the price increase. I am subjected to whatever I can buy with my allowance. I think old school is fun anyway. It makes you appreciate things once you don't have to do them anymore.

Why? My Muscadine is dropping tartaric like crazy at 72 degrees. Dropped quite a bit more at 60. Now, I cold stabilize for the first time. What's wrong with experimenting? This is fun! I wouldn't want to do it with every batch.....

LOL, take the diamonds from the bottom of the carboy and sell them. Then you will have lots of money to buy new winemaking stuff. BTW, think it is time for us to meet at your house. Friday nite, all iced down, time for a PARTY. Arne.

OK,

The wife cut you off. Brother, I FEEL YOUR PAIN.

How about this..

Go to your fridge, remove one of the shelves, and place your carboy in there. This would chill down the wine and keep it at a constant temp. You will also save on the cost of ice!

If your wife objects, just say..

1) You needed to clean out the fridge anyway.
2) look at the money we are saving on ice.
3) look at the money you have already spent on wine, be a shame to have it ruined.
4) Stop hitting me, it will only be in there for a few days!

johnT.

LOL, take the diamonds from the bottom of the carboy and sell them. Then you will have lots of money to buy new winemaking stuff. BTW, think it is time for us to meet at your house. Friday nite, all iced down, time for a PARTY. Arne.

Wow Arne! You made me blush....

If your wife objects, just say..

1) You needed to clean out the fridge anyway.
2) look at the money we are saving on ice.
3) look at the money you have already spent on wine, be a shame to have it ruined.
4) Stop hitting me, it will only be in there for a few days!

johnT.

Hilarious! Thanks, I needed that. I'll let you know how this goes and post photos if applicable.

Latest posts

Back