Floor corker shaving corks

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leeboy

Reaction score
I bought a second hand corker and some equipment off a gentleman . He said it works but sometimes it shaves a piece of the cork off . I tried it and yes it does . Do these things have any kind of adjustment on them ? Mines green but looks similar to the picture

image.jpeg

If used, I would take apart the inner workings, give it a good cleaning, lube it with food safe lube, and then put it back together again.

When my corker (I have had it since 1995 and has corked tens-of-thousands of bottles) acts up by damaging the cork, I see that as a sign that maintenance is overdue. After maintenance, I find that the corker works much better.

Lee, I bought a used one as well (just hate paying retail for most anything). As John said, take it apart, clean, lube, adjust and look for worn parts. I replaced this bolt and mine was back in business.
E3B2E353-A2F3-4AD0-BABC-D0A9D36FA563.jpg

AEB70C7A-5712-43E0-BE6C-B35B5B534E67.jpg

I bought a second hand corker and some equipment off a gentleman . He said it works but sometimes it shaves a piece of the cork off . I tried it and yes it does . Do these things have any kind of adjustment on them ? Mines green but looks similar to the picture

First of you didn't say what you payed for the corker, they sell for around $60 new. If I made the purchase I would look for a simple fix and if I didn't find it I would throw it out. There is nothing worse than bottling an entire batch of wine and then a month later find out all of your bottles are leaking. The guy said it was ruining corks, why do you think he sold it?

I paid like $10 , he said sometimes it shaves them sometimes it doesn't . I'm good at fixing stuff , I just wanted to hear if someone had the same problem and what they did before I dive in .

You might be able to replace the jaws (plastic parts that compress the cork).

Same thing with my Italian corker, had to CAREFULLY realign ( bend) the plunger. Works great now.:h

Thanks everyone .... I'm
Bottling this weekend , I'll give it a little persuading

Latest posts

Back