Mosti Mondiale Floating Raisins

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott B

Reaction score
I am doing a Meglioli Rojo Grande with Raisins. Per the instructions, after 24 hoursI put in the raisins. I checked on it the next day and the raisins are floating on the top all puffed up. Is this suppose to happen?
smiley3.gif

That is what the raisins do in my kits. The raisins have absorbed the juice along with yeast and are being fermented along with all other sugars in the mix. They float because of the CO2 inside.

When I ordered my MM kit, George recommended chopping them up in a food processor. I think that is a good idea.

Heiko said:
When I ordered my MM kit, George recommended chopping them up in a food processor. I think that is a good idea.

Have you made your kit yet? How did that work?
smiley1.gif

Looking at the Instruction, when SG reaches 1.040-1.050
Mix the must to “RESUSPEND” the sediment
Add the Yeast nutrient while mixing
Then Siphon the must to a Carboy.
Upon completions of this the “Dried Raisins” will remain within your Primary bucket. Put the raisins in cheesecloth and squeeze the juice out.
<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />I am trying to think ahead, when you transfer the must that has been “resuspend” does the raisins get stuck in the transfer hose?

Just a suggestion, but I would not rack until the SG is lower then 1010. The reason being is that the yeast, once you add that nutrient and stir that baby up will wake up and when you rack the must into a carboy there is not much head space and the wine tends to erupt out the airlock and down the sides of the carboy, and well you get the idea.

Vcasey is right, there have been several posts on this forum concerning wine volcanoes and Mosti Mondiale kits. That's because they have the added step to add yeast nutrients.

If you have chopped up the raisins with a food processor, won't the raisins just transfer to the 2ndary along with all the other sediment? Is this desirable or not desirable? I thought it was part of why you would chop up the raisins, so that the stay with the must until fermentation is complete?

admiral said:
Heiko said:
Have you made your kit yet?  How did that work?
smiley1.gif

No I haven't made the kit yet, but it makes sense on several levels. By chopping up the raisins you increase the contact surface between raisin and juice by a thousandfold so that should be beneficial. Second I would think that they just stay behind with the rest of the sediment when you rack to a carboy. Like I said that is just my train of thought. I have not tried it yet.

I think leaving the raisins whole works out pretty well. I have a Renaissance Barolo kit which tasted outstanding at just 40 days which was made with whole raisins. I stirred the must daily until about 1.01 SG and then scooped the raisins out with slotted spoon and put them in a strainer bag to squeeze most of the liquid out. Worked great!

Be sure to pause the transfer to the carboy well before the end to let the fizzing start and then stop to avoid the volcano.

Comet in TX said:
If you have chopped up the raisins with a food processor, won't the raisins just transfer to the 2ndary along with all the other sediment? Is this desirable or not desirable? I thought it was part of why you would chop up the raisins, so that the stay with the must until fermentation is complete?

Just put a strainer bag over your siphon and that will filter out the chopped raisins or any other additives, like oak or spices and such.

What I did with my kit was put the raisins in the cheesecloth ahead of time. When i racked from primary bucket to carboy, all I had to do was squeeze out all the juice from those plump juicy little raisins.
Every day I went and punched down the raisins to resuspend the yeast and move around the raisins.

Latest posts

Back