Fizzy in bottle - fix questions

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drunton

Junior
Reaction score
Hi everyone - I am new to the hobby since getting a "beginner" kit for Christmas. I've since made some Dragon Blood and an RJS International Malbec (which is the kit in question now). I also have read a lot on this forum - you are great!

After the 5 weeks of the kit instructions, I bottled half the 6 gallons and am bulk aging the other half in a 3 gallon carboy.

At bottling time, everything seemed good, now 6 weeks later I try a bottle and it's a little fizzy. Final SG was 0.992, so I am pretty sure this is due to incomplete de-gassing.

Now the question - how should I fix this? I just got an AIO pump, so I feel confident in the process, just looking for suggestions on how to procede:

1. Is there a way to un-cork, degas in the bottle and then re-cork?
2. Should I keep the previously bottled wine separate from the other half in the 3-gal carboy, just empty those bottles and rack/degas a couple times, and re-bottle?
3. Should I mix the 3-gal with the previously bottled and rack/de-gas the whole batch together, then re-bottle, and re-fill the 3-gal for a few more months storage?
4. Should I add some k-meta during the rack/de-gas (1/4 tsp for the whole 6 gallons?)

Thanks for any suggestions - Dave

I’d unbottle, degas by vacuum racking a few times. Depending on pH and you may want to add a little SO2. Check to make sure it is degassed by filling a bottle half full, put your thumb over the top and shake. Note: you may want to do this outdoors.

Conversely, if you are lazy..... Get a nice decanter and decant the wine 45 mins before serving. Another option is a vacuvin (vacuum for preserving open wine) Vacuvin each bottle before serving.

Latest posts

Back