Cellar Craft First wine kit.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoCalGuy

Reaction score
I just purchased a Cellar Craft Pinot Noir. Couple of questions. Plastic or glass carboy's, does it matter? Should I degass when I transfer from my primary to secondary before adding anything and should I degass for at least 20 min with a mixer on a drill.? Any advice would be greatly aappreciated.

Welcome to WMT!

My first kit, last January, was also a Pinot Noir but from a different vendor. I think you'll find many of us here recommend that you follow the kit instructions first time around.

Most folks do primary in a bucket and then transfer to a carboy for "secondary". Pros and cons on glass vs. plastic. I've never purposely degassed primary to secondary, always after secondary in the stabilization & clearing phase.

Degassing is and has been an issue for me (8 kits). I do the stirring even more/longer than the instructions recommend and then do 2-3 days of hand pump degassing before topping off for aging.

Hope this helps you some...

I have made this kit twice and it is very good. If you are going degas by suction, then glass carboy or the plastic one will cave in. Also if you are bulk aging , I would use a glass carboy. So if you have not purchased a carboy yet then glass because you will as time goes on and you make more kits ( and you will) - you will bulk age.

Thank you for the advice. Does help very much. I do have two plastic carboy's already but was thinking once I siphon to my secondary I can put it back into clean primary and degass there just because there is more surface area. After degass ill put it back into carboy. From there let it do its thing. Any thoughts?

Welcome to WMT! I agree with bkisel and would follow the directions first time around. I'm not an expert as I have just started making wine as well but I've degassed after secondary while in clearing phase. I've used the power drill method and usually for longer than it called for but have had good results so far. Good luck! you'll do great!

Whichever method you decide to use for degassing, try to get the temperature of the wine up to about 75* F - the CO2 comes out much easier at that temp than a colder one.

Thank you for the advice. Does help very much. I do have two plastic carboy's already but was thinking once I siphon to my secondary I can put it back into clean primary and degass there just because there is more surface area. After degass ill put it back into carboy. From there let it do its thing. Any thoughts?

Yes, that will work.

I like my BB carboys (I have two) because there is less topping off and they're about 10 pounds lighter making them easier to handle. Once I get some stock built up and maybe buy some more marbles I'll be less negative about having to top off more when using my glass carboys (a have 3 glass carboys). I always use a glass carboy for the 2-3 days that I'm degassing using my vacuum hand pump.

Highly recommend the electric drill and whisk degassing method. I like the reversable/cordless drill. I alternate forward and reverse of the drill every 5-10 seconds to really stir things up, and by alternating the direction, you wont get a "vortex" that will suck air into your wine. Oxygen is enemy, until, of course, it's time to drink it! Never had a problem with the fizzies !

Thank you all so much. Ill will keep you posted. I'm sure I will have more questions as the process moves forward.

DON'T degas for 20 min!!! My first kit was oxidized early because I over stirred. I would not stir at all from primary to secondary. If I recall that kit has a grape pack, so the periodic submersion of the pack will limit CO2 build up.
1-2 min with adrill is ample, and avoid creating a vortex while stirring

it really serves no purpose degassing going from the primary to the secondary. fermentaion is not finished so more co2 will be produced in the carboy. just do your transfer and let the fermentation finish then worry about the gas

cheers

I'm only four days into it And my SG is at 1.002. Question, I am leaving sat. Morn and coming back on tue. The directions say 10-12 days for racking in secondary. You think it will be ok and what is the lowest #you want to see on your SG?

Go on your trip, make sure it is under an airlock. It will probably ferment to dry (.996/.998, as low as it will probably go) while your gone. Keep it in a stable environment (temp wise,73deg), you will be fine.

what is the lowest #you want to see on your SG?
It's not so much 'want to see', but with Vineco and Winexpert kits I usually see .992, very occasionally .990 or .991.

I've only made one Cellar Craft kit (Showcase Amarone back in 2007) and it went to .994.

Steve

Latest posts

Back