First wine from juice, help please

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Need some advice....I bought a vignoles grape juice pack has a ph of 3.0, acid level of 1.5 and brix 21. Does it need the acid level reduced? Brix seems low will adding simple syrup also change acid level in the right direction? Thanks in advance for any help.

21 brix is close to ideal for a white. If you choose to raise it 1 or 2 brix, the acid should go down slightly by dilution but not much. You can use calcium carbonate (chalk) prior to fermentation, and potassium bicarbonate when the wine has finished, during cold stabilizing.
Research these additives before using, if used in excess they may cause an off taste.

I live in the north east and had to do the above procedures to all of the fresh juice acquired this past fall due to very high acid. I just bottled 5 gallons of Vignoles and 7 gallons of Catawba last night. Both were high in acid and were lowered to acceptable levels.

Agree with REDBOATNY.

I'd also recommend Lalvin 71B-1122 yeast as it will eat away some of the malic acid.

According to direction for calcium carbonate I could use up to 3.5 tsp of it per gallon. Only used 2tsp per gallon, I didn't want to risk any off flavors. Also did take SBWs advice and used the Lalvin 71B instead of the Montrachet that was sent with juice. Thanks for the advice to both of you.

REDBOATNY do you use a clearing agent in your Vignoles and do you back sweeten?

Latest posts

Back