First timer Strawberry wine ?'s

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteveH

Reaction score
I "searched first" and collected many past posts and advice but I'm still a bit scared/unsure/nervous. I've only done a kit which turned out well but is still aging. Now I'm trying to take the wheel. I've also been reading JK's pages. Still looking for some guidance though. Going to start this tonight and get the strawberries out of the freezer now.

I gallon batch of Strawberry Wine using 10 lbs of Strawberries
Shooting for 10-11% ABV, we’d like this to be a semi sweet wine

Stuff I have on hand:
Potassium Metabisulfite
Potassium Sorbate
Potassium Bicarbinate
Zyme-O-Clear + Enzyme
Casein (Kolorfine)
Bentonite Powder
Red Star Cote des Blancs yeast (tried for 71B-1122 but it’s backordered)
Super Fermant Powder (yeast nutirent)
Optiwhite Yeast Derivative Powder

The game plan and ?’s
1. Freeze them, thaw them, place in fine mesh bag,
2. Squeeze bag or mash them in bag in the bucket?
3. Put in fermenting bucket, cover just barely with water or don’t add any water?
4. Add pectic enzyme and kmeta
5. Cover with towel and let sit 24 hours (at what temp range?)
6. Test SG and add sugar to get desired SG?
7. Add yeast nutrient and yeast
8. Let ferment just covered with a towel or fine mesh for 7 days (or a bucket lid w/airlock? Should I stir daily, how hard or gentle?)
9. Check specific gravity and if between 1.025 and 1.035 (or 1.020-1.000?) rack into a carboy, add metabisulfite, potassium caseinate and degas (vigorous degassing w/drill?)
10. Fit an air lock and let sit in secondary for 4-8 weeks
11.Back sweeten if desired and stabilize again kmeta (?)
I like the following idea, but when should I do this for flavor and color?
“What I will add is I add an fpac using 2lbs. of strawberries simmered down. It helps keep the nice red color and really enhances the flavor.”

Thanks..... SteveH

Use just a couple of tablespoons of water to dissolve your sulfite. Thaw and crush your berries, add the sulfite solution and let set overnight before adding your pectinase. Glad you are using 10 lb of berries, 100% juice for strawberry is the best way to go, but why not start out with 15 pounds so you know you have enough to fill a jug, really why not start out making 3 gallons, not much more work really and when this turns out right you will be very sorry you only made 1 gallon. This will also take a little bit of oak, not a lot, just enough to be in the background. Dont be nervous, this is FUN stuff! When we open up a bottle of our 100% strawberry on a cold winter day, it fills the room with strawberry sunshine. An even better strawberry can be made by backsweetening with honey, a light honey like locust or orange blossum would work well. WVMJ

And, dont go squeezing the bag like a gorilla, be gentle with it, when this hits 1.01-1.020 lift the bag out and let it drain into your primary bucket, dont squeeze it or you will push the mush out of the bag and it will increase your sediment level you have to deal with when you rack. WVMJ

Thanks! I probably would have squeezed that bag like a gorilla! Yes it is fun, but I don't want to screw up (and that's why I plan on making 1 gallon batches for a bit). Your right though, if it turns out well I'll be wishing I had made more. On that note it's not too late to get more berries if I do it soon.

On step 9 when you rack it to carboy, don't add the meta or sorbate or degas it at this time. Bring some of the lees along when you rack and let it finish out to somewhere less than 1.000. When it has quit fermenting (staying at a level specific gravity for 3 or more days in a row) you can rack to another carboy. Now is the time for the k-meta and start degassing. I ususally let it clear, then add the k=meta again, sorbate if you are going to sweeten and let it sit til it is perfectly clear. Now you can either let it sit in the carboy and age for a while or bottle. The strawberries I have made need to sit for quite some time and they still like to throw a bit of sediment after they have been in the bottle for a while. Good luck with it, Arne.

Help :( What'd I do wrong

SG hasn't changed . . .

6/16/2016
Thawed frozen strawberries,
Put berries in fine mesh bag, added 1/5th tsp of kmeta and 3 drops of pectic enzyme
(was advised to add pectic enzyme after 24 hours after the fact)

6/17/2016
Gently squeezed bag for more juice, measured SG was only 1.025 or 3% alcohol
Added approximately 2 lbs of sugar and SG is now 1.095 or 12% alcohol
Added 1/2 package Red Star Cote Des Blanc (mixed with a little water per instructions)
Added 1/4 tsp of Super Ferment yeast nutrient

6/21/2016
Checked SG still at 1.095
Added rest of the packet of yeast, sprinkled it on top of must.

What went wrong? Will this must be okay? it’s at 72-75 degrees, what should I do now?

Okay, Thanks! I'll check the date on the yeast, just received it a couple of weeks ago, activated it with cool water per packet instructions. Added the rest of the pack dry last night. I have more yeast varieties on the way, probably today. Is there such a thing as too much yeast? I may add a packet of another variety.

I've had some to take 2 or 3 days to get moving good. Some within 8 hours, same yeast. Warm water in a small container helps speed it up. When I do it that way I sprinkle a couple pinches of sugar in the warm water 105 deg. add yeast, cover.

As dralarms suggested sprinkle EC 1118 on top of your must, it'll take off.

So I will just add what I do when making strawberry(not that any of this is what you should do) and I have had good success with it.
Thaw frozen fruit and put into mesh bag
Add water to one gallon
Add sugar to desired SG
Add all other chemicals now, less the yeast
After 24 hrs., add the whole packet of hydrated cote des blanc yeast
Add to must, give a good stir and wait

I just did this same process with a blueberry I am making, other than I used 71B yeast. Starting SG 1.094. After day 3 it is down to 1.040.

Not sure why yours didn't take off......maybe lack of yeast..........are you stirring it twice daily to keep the oxygen in it...........do you have it under a lid and airlock.............?

Thaw frozen fruit and put into mesh bag
Add water to one gallon
Add sugar to desired SG
Add all other chemicals now, less the yeast
After 24 hrs., add the whole packet of hydrated cote des blanc yeast
Add to must, give a good stir and wait

Not sure why yours didn't take off......maybe lack of yeast..........are you stirring it twice daily to keep the oxygen in it...........do you have it under a lid and airlock.............?

Thanks!
I added yeast per packet instructions (1 gallon batch) so not the whole package. From now on, I'll do a whole packet.

I also did cover and airlock it for the first day, then realized I shoudn't have, took airlock off and unsnapped lid from bucket and just set the lid on loosely.

I have been stirring it once and now twice daily, first time it did "fizz" and foam is present . . .

I may add another packet of yeast when I get home this afternoon?

Thanks!
I added yeast per packet instructions (1 gallon batch) so not the whole package. From now on, I'll do a whole packet.

I also did cover and airlock it for the first day, then realized I shoudn't have, took airlock off and unsnapped lid from bucket and just set the lid on loosely.

I have been stirring it once and now twice daily, first time it did "fizz" and foam is present . . .

I may add another packet of yeast when I get home this afternoon?

Yeah, always add the whole packet, whether you are making a 1, 2 or 6 gal. batch.
The airlock the first day didn't help matters but at least you got it off. I always just lay the lid on loosely when fermenting in the primary. Have you checked the SG today? If so what is it at now? By getting the lid off tightly and stirring it twice a day, it should start to drop.........only if it isn't dropping would I add more yeast.
No worries overall, just a learning experience we all go through.

Have you checked the SG today? If so what is it at now? By getting the lid off tightly and stirring it twice a day, it should start to drop.........only if it isn't dropping would I add more yeast.
No worries overall, just a learning experience we all go through.

Yes! Just checked and has lightened a bit in color and smell has changed and the SG is now at 1.070
Thanks much to all for the help!

@SteveH Just keep stirring it real well twice a day. You may want to add a little more(1/2 tsp or so) of nutrient to help keep it moving along.

Okay, Thanks! I'll check the date on the yeast, just received it a couple of weeks ago, activated it with cool water per packet instructions. Added the rest of the pack dry last night. I have more yeast varieties on the way, probably today. Is there such a thing as too much yeast? I may add a packet of another variety.

Your water may have been too cool for the yeast. I have killed yeast in the rehydration process so I don't do it anymore and the yeast works fine. You can just sprinkle dry yeast on the top of the must.

If it doesn't drop in specific gravity in another day, I would add a full packet of EC-1118 to get it moving.

Your water may have been too cool for the yeast. I have killed yeast in the rehydration process so I don't do it anymore and the yeast works fine. You can just sprinkle dry yeast on the top of the must.

If it doesn't drop in specific gravity in another day, I would add a full packet of EC-1118 to get it moving.

Thanks, all worked out well finally. got down to 1.010 and racked it into a carboy with an airlock. Secondary fermentation is going well (third day and tiny fine bubbles streaming up). I WILL always sprinkle the yeast on top dry from here on out AND use the whole packet. We did mix that yeast with cool water per packet instructions. I have learned.

Secondary fermentation is now complete. Just want to make sure I'm doing this right . . . I'd also like to back sweeten with fresh strawberry juice. So now I should:
1. Rack to another carboy
2. De-gas (now? or after additives?)
3. Add K-meta (Potassium Metabisulphite)
4. Add Fining agent (I have KWK Krystal Klear)
5. Back sweeten
6. Add potassium sorbate

Your guidance, tips, advice and correction of order of the steps is greatly appreciated.....
Thanks, SteveH

Secondary fermentation is now complete. Just want to make sure I'm doing this right . . . I'd also like to back sweeten with fresh strawberry juice. So now I should:
5. Back sweeten
6. Add potassium sorbate

Your guidance, tips, advice and correction of order of the steps is greatly appreciated.....
Thanks, SteveH

Add sorbate prior to back-sweetening. Definitely degas before additives.

5. Back sweeten
6. Add potassium sorbate

Thanks, SteveH

I'm glad to see someone at this point (and first timer as well)! I'm surprised that secondary is complete already, I have read everywhere that could take between 3-4 weeks after primary.

It was amazing to see not much happening for the first couple of days and then watch that S.G. drop like a rock!

I will be following your questions for sure - seems like your wine is a bit ahead of mine!

Back