First time with buckets

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good advice!
smiley20.gif

Hey Guys,
I Checked the SG this am and the Cab was 1.030 and the Merlot was 1.000. I did this twice and got the same results both times. I still didnt see any signs of fermentation, ( at least what I have seen from the kits I have done in the past IE: cap on top of the must,bubbling air lock ect.)I checked the must temp and it was 68/69 degrees so I added a brew belt.
I talked to I believe it was Joesph today at the Toy Store and he said that I should be fine after I explained to him the story. I asked Joe if he had ever seen a fermentation that you cant really see the fermentation and he said that he has a few times. I came home tonight after work and the Cab was bubbling away but the merlot was not.I am thinking that the lower temp had something to do with not seeing the fermentaton. What do you think? I will check the SG in the am and hopfully it will be a little lower. I will keep you updated.
Again guys I really do appreciate all the help and advise.Bruce

Even if you had a fizzy coke type fermentation you should have been able to see it/hear it if you put your head down on the bucket. Once you added the airlock either to the primary or carboy and filled it with sulfite solution you should have seen it bubbling at some point as well unless their was a leak in the system and the CO2 was escaping somewhere else. Seems pretty strange for sure.

In the Cab bucket I saw what you could describe as coke type pin point fizz. Very little of it though. I acually thought that was the meta coming out. In the Merlot I didnt really see any of that.
I checked the SG this am and the Cab is 1.020 and the Merlot is .998. I guess its safe to assume that the yeast is still working.
On another note, If I wanted to get some testing supplies what would you suggest that I get first? Would it be sulfite testing equipment?

The Sulfite test kits are pretty useless IMHO, just not all that accurate. Depends on how much $$$ you want tho throw at this hobby.It can be a big hole if you let it! I would keep it warm and happy for a few more days then stabilize and fine as per directions.

Checked the buckets again tonight and still a few bubbles in the airlock. I think that is what I am going to do. " keep it warm and happy for a few more days".
There is no instructions on the buckets that the juice came in. I was going to let the fermentation finish,rack to a carboy and let it sit for a while. (I dont know how long a while is but????). I do have the oak cubes to put in there at some point also. I was going to only add clearing agents if it did'nt clear on its own. Not really sure what to do about adding more meta when I go to the carboy.

A simple rule of thumb where you don't rush things but keep them moving along as long as fermentation is progressing normally to dry (0.998 or less) is:

6-7 days in Primary move it all over to Carboy including gross lees
10-12 more days in Carboy to let it completely finish and settle out as much as possible (stir once a day).
Rack day 19-20 if SG is stable
Degas (keep it warm 72-74 degrees)
Add fining agent if using
Top off carboy with similar inexpensive wine
add sulfite (kits usually come with 5gm packet for 6G of wine)
let it the fines settle out for up to a month then rack again
top off carboy
bulk age for ~ 6mo for a red wine
filter if going to
top off sulfite
bottle!

Hey Guys, Just a little update. The Merlot bucket fermented down to .996 and I transferred to a carboy on Wednesday.
The Cab bucket's sg on Wed. was 1.012. It is the same today,2 days later. The must temp has been 80 since the 23rd which is 6 days ago. This has been in the primary with the yeast pitched since last monday. I am concerned about this long fermentation time.
My question for the day is -is this fermentation stuck. shouldnt it have dropped down more in the past two days? should I go ahead and rack to a carboy?- thanks Bruce

I would rack to glass, that will give it some air. Are you keeping it that warm with a brew belt?

Thanks for the advise. It will go the carboy tonight.I'm using a brew plate to keep it that warm. -Bruce

Yeah, maybe rack it and maybe give it a pinch of energizer or nutrient.

Hey wade, thanks for the reply. Do I literally just add a pinch right into the carboy or should I follow directions on bottle and add a tsp per gallon. I did add fermax nuitrient when I pitched the yeast. Bruce.

And should I keep the carboy heated of take it off the heating pad.

I think you can let it drift down to 73-75 or so. Thats a more typical temp to shoot for except for the first couple of days when it really doesn't need much heat as it will make its own.

I would just add a pinch. You are almost finished so using much more would just be a waste and may leave a taste if too much is added at this stage. I do agree with Mike though that 80* is a little on the high side. Lightly stir the nutrient in but if you have energizer that will work better.

OK its in the glass. I added about 3/4 of a tsp for the 6 gallons. I will check the sg in the am. keeping my fingers crossed. Bruce

Checked the sg this evening. 1.013. This has been the sg for 4 straight days now. Any suggestions? This should go to dry right? It is in glass right now.

Latest posts

Back