first time wine making - issues.. :(

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Agreed... I figured giving it a good try with my dads help and some luck would have done me well, but I guess not.

I am going out to buy a hydrometer, ph tester and a couple other things you guys recommended.

As for the relevence of numbers, could you guys point out some places where I could read about this more?

thanks!

I personally think that the best way to make good wine consistently is to use all the tools at your disposal, including technical measurements (the numbers), sensory evaluation, and previous experience (along with the experience of seasoned winemakers.) I don't obsess about the numbers, but the more info you have about your must and your wine the better position you're in to make decisions that will help you improve the quality of your wine and avoid problems that might develop. Also, it's important to do some research and learn the relevance of the measurements to your wine, since the numbers are useless if you're not sure what they mean.

A book that I have plugged a few times on this forum and continue to do so for its wealth of information is Daniel Pambianchi's "Techniques in Home Winemaking." A lot of public libraries have it in their collection and it can be ordered through bookstores or online at www.vehiculepress.com

I always find myself referencing this book as it covers the technical aspects of winemaking extremely well. It's clearly written so that it's pretty accessible to new winemakers, but it covers wine chemistry and all relevant info thoroughly enough to be invaluable to more experienced veterans as well,

Daniel has just joined the forum that I moderate and he is a wealth of info!

Back