First time Vinbrite results & questions

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gekko4321

Reaction score
So I filtered a red RJS Cab Sauv today. I followed the instructions in the packet combined with George's video on filtering. The first pass thru took 25 minutes and that seemed odd to me since everyone says it should take about 45 minutes. I opened up the unit and discovered a 'tear' right near the flow entrance and thus determined it did not filter. I decided to run it again, sadly risking more O2 introduction. This time I did not super tighten. It took 35 minutes this time. I opened it and all seemed perfectly intact. Upon inspection though the pad had no signs of filtrated debris, much like the first one. So should I be seeing evidence of what was filtered? And is watering the pad down critical to the opening step as I think that made it tear easier when setting it up this way? Thanks

I hate to tell you but the Vinbrite can be a tricky thing to figure out. Mine worked pretty darn good for about a year then everything I filtered seem to have the little tear in it. If it tears I can guarantee you it will have some ultra fine sediment in the bottle down the road. If it doesn't take at least 35-45 minutes then you know something is not right. I gave up on mine after a year or so and went with the whole house filter and vacuum pump. Soooooooo much easier and quicker to boot.
You should see a pretty good red sediment on the filter if it filtered properly. If it tore then you won't see very much on the filter as it will just go right through.
You should always pull a good amount of sulfite solution through the filter before filtering the wine.

Ive found when using mine The tear would happen from trying to get the siphon started and not from the actual screwing it together. Also these filters are designed for paper or pads so make sure you are putting each in its proper place and assembling correctly as the screen thing is reversible and needs to be in its right position for the filter to do its job. It is reversed either it will tear a pad or let wine run through without getting filtered much at all. Ive had wines (mainly whites) where I could clearly see a difference in the wine but not see much at all besides a slightly colored filter pad. This IMO means you did your job properly and cleared the wine good and now just polished the wine as its designed to do.

I put the hose clamp just before the filter and start the siphon before attaching the main hose to the filter. That seemed to stop the tearing like Wade was saying was happening to him.

<div style="margin-left: 2px; margin-top: 2px; margin-right: 2px; margin-bottom: 2px; line-height: 1.4; border-top-width: 0px; border-right-width: 0px; border-bottom-width: 0px; border-left-width: 0px; border-style: initial; border-color: initial; border-: initial; -: none; ">Okay, good advice. Thanks guys!

Back