First Time Strawberry Wine - Running Log

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

m_kluch

Junior
Joined
Jul 3, 2023
Messages
25
Reaction score
46
Location
Michigan
I started my first strawberry wine the other day. Meijer had them on sale for 99 cents per pound so I bought 24lb. The strawberries were somewhat tasteless so I decided to do a 3 gallon batch. After destemming/cleaning I ended up with 22lb of berries.

Recipe - 03-17-24
22lb clean strawberries previously frozen for 4 days.
Placed frozen berries in two nylon bags in a fermenting bucket to thaw. Sprinkled 2t pectic enzyme on berries
Dissolved 6lb sugar in 1-gallon hot water and poured over berries.
When berries have mostly thawed, crushed 2 Campden tabs and stirred it in.
S.G. = 1.090

Next morning - 03-18-24
Added 1t Fermaid K and 1t wine tannin
Tested pH (3.75) and TA (4g/L)
Started a yeast starter with 50/50 mix of warm water/must and 1t sugar. Yeast - Red Star Premier Cuvee
30 hours after Campden tabs went in, pitched yeast.

Next morning - 03-19-24
Have good activity. Very nice color extraction, smells wonderful, and the berries are really breaking down.
Ambient and must temp. - 66F
IMG_1886.jpeg

Notes: I didn't adjust pH or TA even though acid level is low. I may end up mixing half of this batch with some black currant wine that I have going (pH- 3.00, TA- 11g/L). Whatever amount I don't mix I will add acid to it to help with stability/longevity.

Any comments or advice welcome.
 
Last edited:
Update 03-22-24
This batch is flying through fermentation. Already down to 1.014 gravity in 4 days.
I removed the nylon bags with fruit pulp and poured into a 5 gallon carboy. I’m impressed at how much extraction I got from the strawberries. From 22lb of berries I was left with 2.5lb of lightly squeezed pulp. Looks like I have about 3.5-3.75gal. of wine right now. Should make for a good transfer to a 3 gallon carboy once ferm. is done and settled.

Question…should I add a couple campden tabs in at this point or just wait a couple weeks until next racking?
 

Attachments

  • IMG_1894.jpeg
    IMG_1894.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1895.jpeg
    IMG_1895.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
Update 03-22-24
This batch is flying through fermentation. Already down to 1.014 gravity in 4 days.
I removed the nylon bags with fruit pulp and poured into a 5 gallon carboy. I’m impressed at how much extraction I got from the strawberries. From 22lb of berries I was left with 2.5lb of lightly squeezed pulp. Looks like I have about 3.5-3.75gal. of wine right now. Should make for a good transfer to a 3 gallon carboy once ferm. is done and settled.

Question…should I add a couple campden tabs in at this point or just wait a couple weeks until next racking?
Personally I would wait. There is still enough CO2 being generated plus what is in suspension.
 
Update
03/27/24 - SG 0.990, Abv: 13.1%
Racked and split the batch into two. Half blended with a black currant wine and half went into a 5L carboy. Into the 5L I added 1t acid blend, 2 campden tabs, 1/2t sorbate and sparkolloid.
The campden tabs immediately turned the wine an orange color.
04/07/24
Wine is still quite orange but is clearing nicely.
IMG_2075.jpeg
 
Update
03/27/24 - SG 0.990, Abv: 13.1%
Racked and split the batch into two. Half blended with a black currant wine and half went into a 5L carboy. Into the 5L I added 1t acid blend, 2 campden tabs, 1/2t sorbate and sparkolloid.
The campden tabs immediately turned the wine an orange color.
04/07/24
Wine is still quite orange but is clearing nicely.
View attachment 111712
 

Latest posts

Back
Top