first time rookie question

Wine Making Talk

Help Support Wine Making Talk:

Reaction score
Started my first attempt at wine making last weekend
Using rasberries I got everything going good. 1 gallon batch in a 5 gallon primary fermenter.
Everything seemed to be doing good. Bubbles were coming up through the airlock slowly at first, then on day 3 and 4 things really picked up. However now it seems that nothing is happening, as in no more bubbles?
I've been stirring the must every other day and I could smell the fermentation when the lid was off. I know things should settle down after awhile but I didn't think they should stop this soon.
Any help would be appreciated
Thanks

cpfan

Reaction score
First visual signs of fermentation are very unreliable. You've had a strong ferment, so much of the sugar is used up, so not much CO2 being generated, thus no movement in the air lock. Personally, I don't use an air lock on my primaries.

The best way to check fermentation is with a hydrometer. The specific gravity lets you know what is happening.

Steve

smurfe

Reaction score
Welcome aboard. Sounds like it is time to move it to a carboy.

Reaction score
Thanks for the speedy replies. I plan on checking the SG this weekend. I was told to keep it in the primary fermenter for 2 weeks. However If the fermentation is slowing can/should I move it to the secondary fermenter?

cpfan

Reaction score
If the sg is below 1.010 (actually I prefer below 1.005), then it can/should be moved to a carboy.

Steve

Reaction score
I measured the SG today and got a reading a little over .99 this is the first time I've ever done this but I didn't think it could be that low. I know temperature can have an effect on the reading but the must is at romm temperature (65-70 or so).
Is it common to see SG readings under 1.00?

Madriver Wines

Reaction score
Almost all of my wines have finished at .990. Pear ended at 1.002. My blueberry read .992 this morning after only 2 weeks in the secondary. I racked it off the lees and left in the cellar.

Last edited:
Reaction score
thanks I posted before I researched
I just looked it up on the internet and see now that juice has a lower SG than water so everything makes sense now
I'll be racking into the secondary fermenter tomorrow
wish me luck, I hope I dont screw it up now

Madriver Wines

Reaction score
I usually move out of the primary on day 5 give or take. I go by the SG and rack at anything below 1.030. It is an arbitrary number. One book I read said at 1.040 and another at 1.020. ?? For instance Strawberry needs to be moved early after 4 days max as the flavor will change for the worse. (per Luc). Not one to go against Luc's advice.
Steve
Oh and good luck!!