First time making wine from grapes

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jtstar

Reaction score
This is my first time making wine from grapes I got both red and white grape not sure what their names are they came from a vineyard from here in Nebraska and I was wondering what everyone would recommend for yeast

Hi Jack,
I am not sure what yeast to use, but Sirs would tell you after you get your feet washed off and the juice in the primary, just let it sit and the natural yeasts will ferment it for you. Take care and good luck with it. Arne.

Hello jtstar,

Jack Keller has a ton of yeast info on his site but that may be sensory overload since you aren't sure of the type of grapes you have. Most of that page is an attempt to link wine type with yeast.

Last year was my first year making wine from grapes. We did a Cabernet Sauvignon and a Merlot. For both batches we used EC-1118. Many will tell you that is a good go-to yeast. Ferments dry and can be used with many different grapes. I don't have a recommendation for the white as I have yet to make one. Hopefully someone chimes in with their two cents.

Good Luck

P.S. How much do you have of each?

-Jenks

I have 29 pounds of whites and around 56 pounds of reds

Back