first post, great site

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pg55

Reaction score
OK lots of info here. I am in the process of making my first batch of wine. I am making a blueberry wine. It has been sitting in the primary covered but not air locked for 6 days now. I keep reading about all this foam I should be seeing but all I get is a constant small bubbles and moving liquid. Is this ok? I started out with a 1.085 sp and at what sp should I rack into the secondary with air lock?
Thanks, PG55

pg55 welcome to winemakingtalk.

Some will rack once their sg is below 1.010 and others will snap down the lid once the sg gets to below 1.010 and let it ferment to dry before racking to a carboy. I believe there are advantages to both methods so whichever one you feel comfortable with go for it.

The foam will vary really widely. It will depend on which varietal you are using, which yeast you are using, the health of the yeast for that particular fermentation, etc. Sounds like it will be perfectly fine!

Just check and got a reading of 1.065 on sg. I guess I am on the right track.Will check again in 2 to 3 days. About 74 degrees on the bucket.

YOu are doing good, seems to be right on track.

Took a SG today. 1.022. I hope to get it down to 1.010 by Sunday. Where the primary is at depends on the ac to keep it below 80. The last couple days it has been hot. When I go to the secondary it will be in a ref controlling at about 72.
Need to start some pee afterwards.

I agree, this is a great site. The knowledge of the folks on here is really amazing.

Latest posts

Back