First Mozzarella

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ffemt128

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well as you know we bit the bullet and purchased the Ricki's Mozzarella Kit from Brew and Wine Supply (sponsor here by the way). I spoke with Doug on the phone for a total of about 45 minutes last week. Real nice guy to talk to. My order was placed on Thursday and shipped the same day. Mr Brown payed a visit to the house while I was at work and delivered my Cheese kit. After seeing the delivery I packed my daughter back into the truck and off to Giant Eagle we went for some Snyder's Whole Milk.

We had dinner then started the mozzarella around 7:00 pm, maybe shortly before. Just under an hour we had the cheese in the ice water to cool it. The entire process was seemless. I think the hardest part was holding and stretching the 135 degree cheese. Both my wife and I believew this is better than any store bought mozzarella we have tried. I'll be stoopping for more milk tomorrow and will no doubt be buying more rennet in the near future. The next batch will be a double. Forgot to mention. The final weight of the Mozzarella was 15.44 oz. Not bad for a total investment of an hour and about $4.50 in materials.

I hear ya there Dan!!!!! Between this and fishing, its the only reason I havent started the cheese making and I dont think I want to but man does it sound enticing!!!!!

Now you need to buy the hard cheese kit. Keep your rennet and cultures in the freezer, they will last longer.

Since we are going into the spring we are going to start making mozza and ricotta thru the summer. Then this fall we are going to kick up the hard cheese making. Since you have to age the hard cheese in a temp around 50 degrees, we decided to do that in the fall. We have a bedroom that we can keep temp in around 50 degrees.

Now you need to buy the hard cheese kit. Keep your rennet and cultures in the freezer, they will last longer.

Since we are going into the spring we are going to start making mozza and ricotta thru the summer. Then this fall we are going to kick up the hard cheese making. Since you have to age the hard cheese in a temp around 50 degrees, we decided to do that in the fall. We have a bedroom that we can keep temp in around 50 degrees.

We pretty much decided if we do hard cheeses we will wait til fall so that we can age in the basement. Temps down there are generally between 45-55 degrees in the winter depending on the part of the basement. Figure we will put the cheese in a large container for storage. I'll be searching for press plans, the simple press on cheesemaking.com doesn't appear hard to make.

We pretty much decided if we do hard cheeses we will wait til fall so that we can age in the basement. Temps down there are generally between 45-55 degrees in the winter depending on the part of the basement. Figure we will put the cheese in a large container for storage. I'll be searching for press plans, the simple press on cheesemaking.com doesn't appear hard to make.

I have those plans:D

Glad the Mozz worked out for you..looking forward to doing some too, but with triming the vineyards and having to cut and set fence posts, my little bit of free time is tied up.

Going to make another batch of Mozzarella today. May also try ricotta so that we can make stuffed shells. If we do that I'll need to make more mozzarella tomorrow so we can grate it and put it on top to melt...

Second batch of Mozzarella made, I made this one a little more moist. I think I like the first batch better. This one weighed in at 17.5 oz. Curds were stiffer and I didn't stir as long after reaching the 135 degree mark or stretch as much. Still very yummy.

This thread is one reason I took a month or so off. My wife told me to hold off on making more wine (made about 10-12 batches last year) have aged and shown to be worth it.
If I tell her I want to start making cheese she'll think I'm nuts!

Is it really that much better than what you can get at the store? I'm not talking about the tough stuff sealed in plastic but the fresher looking stuff near the olive bars soaking in some liquid.

fresh mozz, fresh garden tomatoes, fresh basil and cukes with a nice aged balsamic....mmmmm

I just gotta find time to get into cheese making. We used to make ricotta at home and we added coarse black pepper and red pepper flakes to it. Yummo! I remember the little wicker baskets. Wonder what happened to them.

I just gotta find time to get into cheese making. We used to make ricotta at home and we added coarse black pepper and red pepper flakes to it. Yummo! I remember the little wicker baskets. Wonder what happened to them.

Wow, does that sound great. We love anything with red pepper flakes...

Go for it Rocky, you have one day left for free shipping...:f

BTW, the red pepper mozz sounds great, I want to do some with Italian spices....:HB

Last edited:
I say yes what the cheese you make at home is way better than what you can buy. One thing I noticed right off the top when I made a mozza was the sodium, store bought is much higher, so that in turn, IMO is less healthy.

I say yes what the cheese you make at home is way better than what you can buy. One thing I noticed right off the top when I made a mozza was the sodium, store bought is much higher, so that in turn, IMO is less healthy.

Not to mention no preservatives.....

Latest posts

Back