first kit

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

victank1

Reaction score
I locked my lid down on the primary bucket and my houch was bubbling like crazy after only 8 hours and now it has been 5 days and it is still going crazy. Do I need to stir or leave it the heck along for now. i also added about 5 lbs. of sugar to bring the SG to around 1.10 was this a good or bad. First Batch

Adding sugar to a kit wine can lead to off profile. When making a kit they figure in enough sugar to get a balenced wine.

What kit did you make?

I agree with Tepe, be cautious about adding extra sugar to a kit as it already pretty well balanced. Not saying you shouldn't as experimenting is half the fun. Just be careful if you do. Also, I give mine a stir daily while in the primary to make sure the yeast is getting enough air. Having added the extra sugar, you'll most likely be off the time table for transfer to the secondary. It shouldn't matter as I go by SG and not by number of days.

I'd wait for a more experienced member to chime in on when to transfer on this one.

Thanks I will stir it after work.. this may release gases and help the little burpers do their thing...

montyfox said:
I agree with Tepe, be cautious about adding extra sugar to a kit as it already pretty well balanced. Not saying you shouldn't as experimenting is half the fun. Just be careful if you do. Also, I give mine a stir daily while in the primary to make sure the yeast is getting enough air. Having added the extra sugar, you'll most likely be off the time table for transfer to the secondary. It shouldn't matter as I go by SG and not by number of days.

I'd wait for a more experienced member to chime in on when to transfer on this one.

Remember kits are like a "recipe". That being said the timing of the steps may be "tweeked" changed. Alot of that depends on temp and yeast. Follow the directions only to what the garvity is as you proceed to the next step. You will notice that some directions say 10-14 days. You may have to go 14-16 days etc..
Hope this helps.

Knowing just what kit this is would be very helpful. It sounds like a regular wine kit and not a lighter "mist" type. Generally you don't add sugar to these kits. Might I ask what prompted you to do so?

He said "French Colombard it was a Vino Verde Kit"

OK I see that is an RJ Spagnols low end white kit. I think you probably bumped the alcohol level much too high for a light floral wine. It will mask the smells and flavors, but should have the alcohol kick you are after. Do all you can to keep it happy, like stirring once in a while and keep it about 65-70 degrees so it will finish up or it will stall and end up real sweet.

Where is everyones manners here???
smiley4.gif

Welcome, victank1

I hope you stick around............. Sounds like you are well on you way to making a nice batch of rocket feul.
smiley36.gif

Thanks for thhe welcome..and I am new at this and am in need of help so i will probably be asking questions. I hope you folks can bare with me..

Back